Species of Thailand
Spiny-headed sea snake
Hydrophis peronii, André Marie Constant Duméril, 1853
(In Thai: งูทากลายท้องขาว, ngu taak lai thong khao)
Acalyptophis peronii, commonly known as the spiny-headed seasnake, Peron's sea snake, or the horned sea snake, is a species of sea snake endemic to the western tropical Pacific Ocean. It is the only sea snake with spines on the head. Like other members of the family, Hydrophiidae or Elapidae, it is venomous.
The specific name, peronii, is in honor of François Péron, a French naturalist and explorer.
The spiny-headed seasnake is a medium-size snake, with the diameter of the neck only one third to two fifths the diameter of the thickest part of the body. The head is small and the tail flattened laterally. The supraoculars are raised, and their free borders are pointed. This species reaches a snout-vent length of little more than one meter (39 inches). Dorsally, it is grayish, pale olive, or tan, with dark crossbands, which are narrower than the spaces between them and taper to a point on the sides of the belly. Ventrally, it is uniform whitish or with a series of dark crossbars alternating with spots.
Acalyptophis peronii is found in the Gulf of Siam, Thailand, Vietnam, the South China Sea, the coast of Guangdong and Strait of Taiwan,
the Philippines, Indonesia, New Guinea, New Caledonia, the Coral Sea Islands, Papua New Guinea, and Australia, (North Territory, Queensland, West Australia, & possibly New South Wales).
It prefers seas with sandy beds and coral reefs.
Diet includes small fish.
It is a viviparous species that produces up to 10 live young per female.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Hydrophis peronii
- Spiny-headed sea snake
- Peron's sea snake
- Horned sea snake
- Thai: งูทากลายท้องขาว, ngu taak lai thong khao
- Acalyptophis peronii, Tanya Chan-Ard et al. (2015)
- Acalyptophis peronii, Harold Cogger (2014)
- Acalyptophis peronii, Van Stanley Bartholomew Wallach et al. (2014)
- Hydrophis peronii, Kate Laura Sanders et al. (2012)
- Acalyptophis peronii, S. Wilson & G. Swan (2010)
- Acalyptophis peronii, Harold Cogger (2000)
- Acalyptophis peronii, John C. Murphy & Merel J. Cox & Harold K. Voris (1999)
- Acalyptophis peronii, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Acalyptophis peroni, Keith A. Harding & Kenneth R. G. Welch (1980)
- Pseudodisteira horrida, James Roy Kinghorn (1926)
- Acalyptophis peronii, George Albert Boulenger (1896)
- Acalyptus superciliosus, Johann Gustav Fischer (1856)
- Acalyptus superciliosus vel Peroni, André Marie Constant Duméril & Gabriel Bibron (1854)
- Acalyptus superciliosus vel peroni, André Marie Constant Duméril, Gabriel Bibron & Auguste Duméril (1854)
- Acalyptus peronii, André Marie Constant Duméril (1853)
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)