Species of Thailand
Large-eyed pit viper
Thai: งูเขียวหางไหม้ตาโต, ngu khieow hang mai dtaa dtoo
Binomial name: Trimeresurus macrops, Eugen Kramer, 1977
Trimeresurus macrops is a venomous pit viper species endemic to Southeast Asia. No subspecies are currently recognized. Common names include large-eyed pitviper and green pit viper.
It can be distinguished from other green pit vipers by the relatively large size of its eyes, which is especially noticeable in adult specimens, and to which the specific name, macrops, refers.
Scalation includes 21 rows of dorsal scales at midbody, 160-174/161-175 ventral scales in males/females, 62-74/49-63 subcaudal scales in males/females, and 9-12 supralabial scales.
It is found in Southeast Asia in northern Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, and southern Vietnam. The type locality given is "Bangkok, Thailand".
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Trimeresurus macrops
- German: Grossaugen-Bambusotter
- Large-eyed pit viper
- Kramer's pit viper
- Big-eyed green pit viper
- Thai: งูเขียวหางไหม้ตาโต, ngu khieow hang mai dtaa dtoo
- Cryptelytrops macrops, Tanya Chan-Ard et al. (2015)
- Trimeresurus macrops, Van Stanley Bartholomew Wallach et al. (2014)
- Trimeresurus (Trimeresurus) macrops, Patrick David et al. (2011)
- Trimeresurus macrops, Andreas Gumprecht et al. (2004)
- Cryptelytrops macrops, Anita Malhotra & Roger Stephen Thorpe (2004)
- Trimeresurus macrops, Roy W. McDiarmid, Jonathan A. Campbell & T'Shaka A. Touré (1999)
- Trimeresurus macrops, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Trimeresurus macrops, Kenneth R. G. Welch (1994)
- Trimeresurus macrops, Eugen Kramer (1977)
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Bangkok Province
- Chae Son National Park
- Doi Khun Tan National Park
- Doi Suthep-Pui National Park
- Kham Thale So District, Nakhon Ratchasima
- Khao Yai National Park
- Lan Sak District, Uthai Thani
- Mae Taeng District, Chiang Mai
- Mueang Nakhon Nayok District, Nakhon Nayok
- Namtok Sam Lan National Park
- Pak Chong District, Nakhon Ratchasima
- Pang Sida National Park
- Phu Chong Na Yoi National Park
- Phu Khiao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Phu Suan Sai National Park
- Sakaerat Environmental Research Station
- Sam Chuk District, Suphan Buri
- Sikhio District, Nakhon Ratchasima
- Sung Noen District, Nakhon Ratchasima
- Ta Phraya National Park
- Thap Lan National Park
- Thung Salaeng Luang National Park
- Wang Nam Khiao District, Nakhon Ratchasima
Range map of Trimeresurus macrops in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
It is free to use this map on various media. See the creative common license terms by clicking "CC" icon below the map. But remember, again; the map may not be accurate or complete.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Biodiversity Survey & Species ID group on Facebook.