Species of Thailand
Hagen’s pit viper
Thai: งูแก้วหางแดง, ngu geow hang daeng
Binomial name: Trimeresurus hageni, Theodorus Willem van Lidth de Jeude, 1886
Trimeresurus hageni is a venomous pit viper species endemic to Southeast Asia. No subspecies are currently recognized.
The specific name, hageni, is in honor of naturalist "Dr. B. Hagen", who collected mammals, birds, reptiles, and insects in the eastern part of Sumatra.
Scalation includes 21 rows of dorsal scales at midbody, 76–98 ventral scales, 63–89 subcaudal scales, and 9–12 supralabial scales.
This species is found in Peninsular Thailand, Peninsular Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia (Sumatra and the nearby islands of Bangka, Simalur, Nias, Batu, and the Mentawai Islands).
The type locality given is "Sumatra ... [and] island of Banka". Brongersma (1933) emended this to "Deli, Sumatra".
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Trimeresurus hageni
- German: Hagens Bambusotter
- Hagen's green pit viper
- Hagen's pitviper
- Thai: งูแก้วหางแดง, ngu geow hang daeng
- Parias hageni, Tanya Chan-Ard et al. (2015)
- Parias hageni, Van Stanley Bartholomew Wallach et al. (2014)
- Trimeresurus (Parias) hageni, David et al. (2011)
- Parias hageni, Anita Malhotra & Roger Stephen Thorpe (2004)
- Trimeresurus hageni, Roy W. McDiarmid, Jonathan A. Campbell & T'Shaka A. Touré (1999)
- Trimeresurus hageni, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Trimeresurus hageni, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Trimeresurus hageni, Kenneth R. G. Welch (1994)
- Trimeresurus hageni, Alice Georgie Cruickshank Grandison (1972)
- Trimeresurus hageni, Léo Daniël Brongersma (1933)
- Lachesis hageni, Theodorus Willem van Lidth de Jeude (1922)
- Lachesis sumatranus, George Albert Boulenger (1896)
- Bothrops hageni, Bernhard Hagen (1890)
- Bothrops hageni, Theodorus Willem van Lidth de Jeude (1886)
- Trimeresurus sumatranus, Thomas Stamford Raffles (1822)
- Lachesis sumatranus nec Coluber sumatranus, Thomas Stamford Raffles (1822)
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
No photo for this species yet
- Hala-Bala Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Chong
- Na Yong District, Trang
- Ron Phibun District, Nakhon Si Thammarat
- Sadao District, Songkhla
- San Kala Khiri National Park
- Thale Ban National Park
- Ton Nga-Chang Wildlife Sanctuary
- Trang Province
- Waeng District, Narathiwat
Range map of Trimeresurus hageni in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.