Species of Thailand
Kuhl's parachute gecko
Binomial name: Ptychozoon kuhli, Leonhard Hess Stejneger, 1902
Ptychozoon kuhli, commonly known as Kuhl's flying gecko or the common flying gecko, is a species of Asian gecko.
The specific name, kuhli, is in honor of German zoologist Heinrich Kuhl.
P. kuhli has adaptations to its skin, including flaps on either side of its body, webbed feet, and a flattened tail to allow it to glide over short distances. These geckos have a remarkable camouflage. The flaps of skin along their sides help them blend with tree bark. Often, the eyes are the only way to see them.
Flying geckos, like many other gecko species, have evolved intricate toe pads with microscopic hairs that can adhere to nearly any surface, including glass.
P. kuhli is found in Southern Thailand (Nakhon Si Thammarat, Satun, Pattani), Myanmar, northeastern India, Malaysian Peninsula (incl. Pulau Tioman, Johor: Pulau Besar), Nicobar Islands, Indonesia (Sumatra, Java, Borneo, Simalur), and Singapore.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Ptychozoon kuhli
- German: Kuhls Faltengecko
- Kuhl’s parachute gecko
- Gliding gecko
- Kuhl's flying gecko
- Thai: ตุ๊กแกบินหางเรียบ
- Ptychozoon kulhli sic, Eric Rodger Pianka & Laurie Joseph Vitt (2003)
- Ptychozoon kuhli, Tanya Chan-Ard et al. (1999)
- Ptychozoon kuhlii, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Ptychozoon kuhli, Arnold Girard Kluge (1993)
- Ptychozoon kuhli, Edward Harrison Taylor (1963)
- Ptychozoon homalocephalum, Nelly de Rooij (1915)
- Ptychozoon kuhli, Leonhard Hess Stejneger (1902)
- Ptychozoon homalocephalum, George Albert Boulenger (1885)
- Ptychozoon homalocephalum, Albert Charles Lewis Günther (1864)
- Platydactylus homalocephalus, André Marie Constant Duméril & Gabriel Bibron (1836)
- Lacerta homalocephala, Georges-Frédéric Cuvier (1831)
- Lacerta homalocephala, Creveldt (1809)
Not Evaluated (IUCN3.1)
Range map of Ptychozoon kuhli in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
It is free to use this map on various media. See the creative common license terms by clicking "CC" icon below the map. But remember, again; the map may not be accurate or complete.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Biodiversity Survey & Species ID group on Facebook.