Species of Thailand
Red cat snake
Thai: งูต้องไฟ, ngu tong fai
Binomial name: Boiga nigriceps, Albert Charles Lewis Günther, 1863
The black-headed cat snake (Boiga nigriceps) gets its name from the greenish to blackish colouration of its head. Neonates and juveniles do not exhibit this dark colour on the head until adulthood. The body colour ranges from brown to orange and red to black. The ventrals are yellowish below the neck and white for the rest. They are large snakes; adults may attain a total length of 1.7 m frac=2. They are quite aggressive and hardy in nature.
Indonesia, Borneo, Peninsular Malaysia, Thailand
The black-headed cat snake is arboreal, but frequently comes down to the ground in search of prey. They occupy lowland and mid-elevation tropical rainforests of Southeast Asia.
The black-headed cat snake feeds on lizards, frogs, birds, small mammals and other snakes in the wild.
This article uses material from the Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Photos in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Boiga nigriceps
- German: Schwarzköpfige Nachtbaumnatter
- Red cat snake
- Black-headed cat snake
- Thai: งูต้องไฟ, ngu tong fai
Boiga nigriceps brevicauda, Malcolm Arthur Smith, 1926
Range: Indonesia (Siberut, Sipora)
Boiga nigriceps nigriceps, Albert Charles Lewis Günther, 1863
Range: Thailand, China (Guangxi), Indonesia, Malaysia
- Boiga nigriceps brevicaudata, Nikolai L. Orlov & Sergei A. Ryabov (2002)
- Boiga nigriceps, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Boiga nigriceps, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Boiga nigriceps, Michael Wilmer Forbes Tweedie (1950)
- Boiga nigriceps brevicauda, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1926)
- Dipsadomorphus nigriceps, Franz Werner (1913)
- Boiga nigriceps, Thomas Barbour (1912)
- Dipsadomorphus nigriceps, George Albert Boulenger (1896)
- Dipsas hoffmanseggii, Wilhelm Karl Hartwich Peters (1867)
- Dipsas nigriceps, Albert Charles Lewis Günther (1863)
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
Range map of Boiga nigriceps in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits and Parinya Pawangkhanant for their help with many range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.