Species of Thailand
Many-spotted cat snake
Boiga multomaculata, Heinrich Boie, 1827
(In Thai: งูแม่ตะงาวรังนก, ngu mae ta ngaw rang nok)
Also called the many-spotted cat snake, large-spotted cat snake and marbled cat-eyed snake, Boiga multomaculata, is a species of rear-fanged colubrid snakes of the genus Boiga.
Dorsally it is gray-brown, with two alternating series of round dark brown, reddish-brown or chestnut-colored spots and two other series of smaller spots on the lower sides. On the head it has two blackish bands which diverge posteriorly. There is a blackish streak from the eye to the corner of the mouth. Ventrally it is whitish, marbled or spotted with brown, and there is a series of brown spots along each side. Adults may attain 77 cm (30 in.) in total length.
Geographic range and Distribution
The snake is found in a wide variety of locales, including areas of Western Malaysia, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, India (Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Miao - Changlang district), Southern China (incl. Hong Kong and Hainan), Indonesia (Java, Sulawesi, Sumatra, Borneo), Bangladesh, Cambodia, Laos, and Singapore.
A very secretive snake, it hides in hollows and cracks of tree trunks during the day. Unlike most boigas, this species is a cathemeral snake, with which it is active at both day and night. It's quite nervous and will scuttle away at the slight disturbance. They rarely bite, however. It prefers rocky crevices and thin branches that are in plain sight.
Mostly observed hunting just before daybreak, it primarily feeds on lizards such as geckos and small skinks but they will also eat lizard eggs. This snake also frequents branches that are overhanging a water source, thus it may also devour fish in the process.
Being a rear-fanged snake, it is mildly venomous. The effects are the same as most boiga species but because of its size, it never poses any threat. There are no known or recorded fatalities as well.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Boiga multomaculata
- Gefleckte Katzennatter
- English: Many-spotted cat snake
- Thai: งูแม่ตะงาวรังนก, ngu mae ta ngaw rang nok
- Boiga multomaculata, Van Stanley Bartholomew Wallach et al. (2014)
- Boiga multomaculata, Jelmer Groen (2008)
- Boiga multomaculata, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Boiga multomaculata, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Boiga multimaculata, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1943)
- Boiga multimaculata sikiangensis, R. Mell (1931)
- Boiga multimaculata hainanensis, R. Mell (1931)
- Boiga multimaculata, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1923)
- Dipsadomorphus multimaculatus, George Albert Boulenger (1896)
- Dipsas multimaculata, André Marie Constant Duméril & Gabriel Bibron (1854)
- Dipsas multomaculata, Caspar Georg Carl Reinwardt (1827)
- Dipsas multomaculata, Friedrich Boie (1827)