Species of Thailand
Dog-toothed cat snake
Thai: งูแส้หางม้า, ngu sae hang ma
Binomial name: Boiga cynodon, Friedrich Boie, 1827
Boiga cynodon, commonly known as the dog-toothed cat snake, is a nocturnal species of rear-fanged colubrid snake endemic to Asia.
It is a large snake, reaching more than 2 m (6½ feet) in total length. The front teeth of the upper jaw and the lower jaw are strongly enlarged.
The body is slender and laterally compressed. Dorsally it is tannish with reddish-brown or dark brown crossbands. There is a dark streak behind the eye on each side of the head. The venter is whitish, heavily marbled with dark brown.
The smooth dorsal scales are arranged in 23 or 25 rows at midbody, and those in the vertebral row are strongly enlarged. Ventrals 248-290; subcaudals 114-165.
It feeds mainly upon small birds and bird eggs, but may also take lizards and small mammals.
Boiga cynodon is an oviparous species, with sexually mature females laying eggs, 6-12 per clutch.
- India (Assam)
- Indonesia (Bali, Bangka, Belitung, Borneo, Flores, Java, Kalimantan, Mentawai Archipelago, Nias, Riau Archipelago, Sumatra, Sumbawa)
- Malaysia (Malaya and East Malaysia), Pulau Tioman
- Myanmar (formerly called Burma)
- Philippine Islands (Basilan, Culion, Dinagat, Leyte, Luzon, Mindanao, Palawan, Panay, Polillo, Sibutu, Sulu Archipelago)
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Boiga cynodon
- German: Hundezahn-Katzennatter
- Dog-toothed cat snake
- Large blunt-headed tree snake
- Thai: งูแส้หางม้า, ngu sae hang ma
- Boiga cynodon, Van Stanley Bartholomew Wallach et al. (2014)
- Boiga cynodon, Maren Gaulke (2011)
- Boiga cynodon, Chris Mattison (2007)
- Boiga cynodon, Tanya Chan-Ard et al. (1999)
- Boiga cynodon, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Boiga cynodon, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Boiga cynodon, Robert Mertens (1930)
- Boiga cynodon, Thomas Barbour (1912)
- Dipsadomorphus cynodon, George Albert Boulenger (1896)
- Pareas waandersi, Pieter Bleeker (1860)
- Eudipsas cynodon, Albert Charles Lewis Günther (1858)
- Opetiodon cynodon, André Marie Constant Duméril & Gabriel Bibron (1854)
- Eudipsas cynodon, Leopold Fitzinger (1843)
- Dipsas cynodon, Friedrich Boie (1827)
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Kathu District, Phuket
- Khao Chong
- Khao Lak - Lam Ru National Park
- Khao Phra - Bang Khram Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Sok National Park
- Khao Tha Petch Wildlife Conservation and Developme
- Khlong Saeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khok Pho District, Pattani
- Ko Lanta District, Krabi
- Ko Samui District, Surat Thani
- Mueang Krabi District, Krabi
- Phuket Province
- Sri Phang-nga National Park
- Su-ngai Kolok District, Narathiwat
- Waeng District, Narathiwat
- Yong Waterfall National Park
Range map of Boiga cynodon in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits and Parinya Pawangkhanant for their help with many range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.