Species of Thailand
Jasper cat snake
Boiga jaspidea, André Marie Constant Duméril, Gabriel Bibron & Auguste Duméril, 1854
(In Thai: งูกระ, ngu gra)
The jasper cat snake (Boiga jaspidea) is a small and slender species of rear-fanged colubrid that is uncommon throughout its range.
Its body is reddish to chocolate brown, but rich black and white speckles cover the entire body except for the ventrals, which are yellow. In addition, there are faint black lateral bars, and white spots on the ventrolateral area. Its maximum length is 1.5 m (4.9 feet).
Indonesia, Borneo, Peninsular Malaysia, Thailand
Habitat and behavior
The jasper cat snake lives in arboreal habitats in tropical rainforests, and sometimes among low-lying shrubs. It has been reported to lay up to three eggs in termite nests. Little else is known about this elusive snake.
The jasper cat snake feeds on geckos and other smaller snakes in the wild.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Boiga jaspidea
- German: Jaspis Katzennatter
- English: Jasper cat snake
- Thai: งูกระ, ngu gra
- Boiga jaspidea, Van Stanley Bartholomew Wallach et al. (2014)
- Boiga jaspidea, Jelmer Groen (2008)
- Boiga jaspidea, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Boiga jaspidea, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Boiga jaspidea, Michael Wilmer Forbes Tweedie (1950)
- Boiga jaspidea, Felix Kopstein (1938)
- Boiga jaspidea, Thomas Barbour (1912)
- Dipsadoides decipiens, Nelson Annandale (1905)
- Dipsadomorphus jaspideus, George Albert Boulenger (1896)
- Dipsas jaspidea, Giorgio Jan (1863)
- Dipsas boops, Albert Charles Lewis Günther (1858)
- Triglyphodon jaspideum, André Marie Constant Duméril, Gabriel Bibron & Auguste Duméril (1854)
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
We have created a micro website to show daily statistics over snake observation logs collected from a few Facebook groups. It is possible to see some detailed statistics and download data free for research or any other purpose. Follow this link to open the site.