Species of Thailand
Puff-faced water snake
Thai: งูหัวกะโหลก, ngu hua galog
Binomial name: Homalopsis buccata, Carolus Linnaeus, 1758
Puff-faced Water Snake or Masked Water Snake (Homalopsis buccata) is a species of snake found in Asia.
Inter nasals smaller than prefrontals; frontal often broken up into small shields, a little broader or sometimes narrower than the supraocular; parietals short; loreal present, sometimes divided; one or two pre- and two postoculars; one to three suboculars may be present; temporals small; ten to twelve upper labials, fifth or sixth entering the eye or narrowly separated from it; two or three pair of chin-shields, inner in contact with the three anterior lower labials. Scales in 37–47 rows; ventrals 158–176; anal divided; subcaudals 70–106.
Dark brown above, with narrow, pale brown, black-edged transverse bands, in young specimens yellow; head pale with a triangular or V-shaped dark marking on the snout, a A-shaped spot on the occiput, and a dark band on each side passing through the eye and extending to before the eye. Lower surface white or yellowish, with dark brown spots along each side; tail with brown spots. Length of head and body 820 mm.; tail 230 mm. Eats fish and frogs.
- Bangladesh; Myanmar, Cambodia; Thailand; Vietnam;
- Indonesia (Bangka, Belitung, Borneo, Java, Kalimantan, Riau Archipelago, Sulawesi, Sumatra);
- Laos; W Malaysia (Malaya); Singapore;
- NE India; Nepal; Pulau Bangka
This article uses material from the Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Photos in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Homalopsis buccata
- German: Boa-Wassertrugnatter
- Puff-faced water snake
- Linne’s water snake
- Masked water snake
- งูหัวกะโหลก, ngu hua galog
- งูเหลือมอ้อ, ngu leuam oor
- Homalopsis buccata, John C. Murphy & Harold K. Voris (2014)
- Homalopsis buccata, Nguyen Van Sang et al. (2009)
- Homalopsis buccata, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Homalopsis buccata, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Homalopsis buccatus, André Marie Constant Duméril & Gabriel Bibron (1854)
- Homalopsis buccata, Hermann Schlegel (1837)
- Homalopsis monilis, Friedrich Boie (1827)
- Homalopsis horridus, Heinrich Kuhl & Johan Coenraad van Hasselt (1822)
- Vipera buccata, François Marie Daudin (1803)
- Coluber horridus, François Marie Daudin (1803)
- Coluber buccatus, Carolus Linnaeus (1758)
- Coluber monilis, Carolus Linnaeus (1758)
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Huai Yang Waterfall National Park
- Khok Pho District, Pattani
- Ko Samui District, Surat Thani
- Su-ngai Kolok (Malay: Sungai Golok) District, Narathiwat
- Tak Bai (Malay: Tabal) District, Narathiwat
Range map of Homalopsis buccata in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits and Parinya Pawangkhanant for their help with many range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.