Species of Thailand
Thai: นกโพระดกหูเขียว, nok phoradok hu khiew
Binomial name: Psilopogon faiostrictus, Coenraad Jacob Temminck, 1831
The green-eared barbet (Megalaima faiostricta) is an Asian barbet. Barbets are a group of near passerine birds with a worldwide tropical distribution. They get their name from the bristles which fringe their heavy bills.
The green-eared barbet is a resident breeder in southern China, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam. It is a species of broadleaf evergreen and mixed or open woodlands at up to 900 m altitude. It nests in a tree hole.
This barbet is 24.5–27 cm in length. It is a plump bird, with a short neck, large head and short tail. The adult has a white-streaked brown head and breast, green ear coverts, mainly dark bill, and green-streaked yellow belly. The rest of the plumage is green. Both sexes and immature birds are similar. This species resembles lineated barbet, but is smaller, has the distinctive green ear patch, a darker bill and a dark, rather than yellow, eye-ring.
The male’s territorial call is a loud took-a-prruk. Another call is a mellow pooouk.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Psilopogon faiostrictus
- Thai: นกโพระดกหูเขียว, nok phoradok hu khiew
- Megalaima faiostricta
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Ban Bueng District, Chonburi
- Chaloem Rattanakosin National Park
- Chiang Dao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Doi Inthanon National Park
- Doi Lo District, Chiang Mai
- Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park
- Doi Saket District, Chiang Mai
- Doi Suthep-Pui National Park
- Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Huai Yang Waterfall National Park
- Kaeng Krachan District, Phetchaburi
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Kaeng Som Maew Queen Sirikit Forest Park
- Khao Ang Rue Nai Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Khitchakut National Park
- Khao Laem National Park
- Khao Phra - Bang Khram Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
- Khao Sanam Prieng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Soi Dao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Yai National Park
- Khlong Lan National Park
- Khon San District, Chaiyaphum
- Kui Buri National Park
- Lan Sang National Park
- Mae Ai District, Chiang Mai
- Mae Moei National Park
- Mae Wong National Park
- Mancha Khiri District, Khon Kaen
- Muak Lek District, Saraburi
- Mueang Chanthaburi District, Chanthaburi
- Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai
- Mueang Chiang Rai District, Chiang Rai
- Mueang Nakhon Nayok District, Nakhon Nayok
- Nam Nao National Park
- Namtok Phlio National Park
- Nong Bong Khai Non-hunting Area
- Pachee River Wildlife Sanctuary
- Pang Sida National Park
- Pha Nam Yoi Forest Park
- Pha Taem National Park
- Phu Chong Na Yoi National Park
- Phu Foi Lom National Park
- Phu Khiao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Phu Langka National Park
- Phu Phan National Park
- Phu Toei National Park
- Phu Wiang National Park
- Sai Yok National Park
- Sakaerat Environmental Research Station
- Sangkhom District, Nong Khai
- Sri Nakarin Dam National Park
- Tat Mok National Park
- Thap Lan National Park
- Thung Salaeng Luang National Park
- Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary
Range map of Psilopogon faiostrictus in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.