Species of Thailand
Giant Asian pond turtle
Thai: เต่าหวาย, dtao waay
Binomial name: Heosemys grandis, John Edward Gray, 1860
The giant Asian pond turtle (Heosemys grandis) inhabits rivers, streams, marshes, and rice paddies from estuarine lowlands to moderate altitudes (up to about 400 m) throughout Cambodia and Vietnam and in parts of Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar and Thailand.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Heosemys grandis
- German: Riesenerdschildkröte
- English: Giant Asian pond turtle
- Thai: เต่าหวาย, dtao waay
- Heosemys grandis, Nguyen Van Sang et al. (2009)
- Heosemys grandis, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Heosemys grandis, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Cyclemys grandis, W. Lorenz (1984)
- Heosemys grandis, Leonhard Hess Stejneger (1902)
- Geoemyda grandis, John Edward Gray (1873)
- Clemmys grandis, Alexander Strauch (1862)
- Geoemyda grandis, John Edward Gray (1860)
Range map of Heosemys grandis in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.