Species of Thailand
Yellow-headed temple turtle
Heosemys annandalii, George Albert Boulenger, 1903
(In Thai: เต่าบึงหัวเหลือง, dtao beung hua leuang)
The yellow-headed temple turtle (Heosemys annandalii) is a large species of turtle in the family Geoemydidae. The species is native to Southeast Asia.
The common name, "yellow-headed temple turtle", is derived from the fact that it is often found near Buddhist temples within its range.
The specific name, annandalii, is in honor of Scottish herpetologist Nelson Annandale.
H. annandalii may grow to over 20 in (51 cm) in straight carapace length.
H. annandalii is aquatic, and is generally herbivorous.
The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) suspended trade of yellow-headed temple turtles in July 2012.
H. annandalii is found in Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, and possibly Myanmar.
H. annandalii may live in captivity for up to 35 years.
Two turtles were hatched in November 2019 at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. Heosemys annadali has been breed in captivity.
The leech Placobdelloides siamensis is an ectoparasite of this turtle.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Heosemys annandalii
- German: Tempelschildkröte
- English: Yellow-headed temple turtle
- Thai: เต่าบึงหัวเหลือง, dtao beung hua leuang
- Hieremys annandali, Markus Auer (2011)
- Heosemys annandalii, Arvin Cantor Diesmos, J.F. Parham, Bryan L. Stuart & Rafe M. Brown (2005)
- Hieremys annandalii, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Hieremys annandalii, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Hieremys annandali, Robert Mertens & Lorenz Müller & Rust (1934)
- Hieremys annandalii, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1930)
- Cyclemys annandalei, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1930)
- Cyclemys annandali, R. Mell (1929)
- Hieremys annandalei, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1916)
- Cyclemys annandalii, George Albert Boulenger (1903)
Please help us review our species pages if wrong photos are used or any other details in the page is wrong. We can be reached via our contact us page.