Species of Thailand
Thai: งูลายสอบ้าน, ngu lai sor baan
Binomial name: Xenochrophis flavipunctatus, Edward Hallowell, 1860
The yellow-spotted keelback, Xenochrophis flavipunctatus, is a species of colubrid snake found in
India, Thailand, China, West Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia (Sumatra, Java, and Kalimantan) Its type locality is: Island of Hong Kong (Hong Kong) and Canton River?, China
IUCN includes Taiwan in the range of X. flavipunctatus, but excludes India, Malaysia, and Indonesia.
X. f. schnurrenbergeri of Nepal is now considered an independent species, Xenochrophis schnurrenbergeri.
Habitat and behaviour
X. flavipunctatus is a semiaquatic snake that occurs in slow rivers and streams, marshes, swamps, ponds, and lakes. It thrives also in wet human-modified habitats, including rice fields and ditches. It feeds on fish and frogs. It is diurnal.
Relations with humans
X. flavipunctatus is exploited in parts of it range to support snake farms and pigs and for use in snake wine.
This article uses material from the Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Photos in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Xenochrophis flavipunctatus
- German: Gelbflecken-Fischnatter
- Common keelback
- Yellow-spotted keelback
- งูลายสอบ้าน, ngu lai sor baan
- งูลายสอสวน, ngu lai sor suan
- Xenochrophis flavipunctatus, Van Stanley Bartholomew Wallach et al. (2014)
- Xenochrophis flavipunctatus, Patrick David & Gernot Vogel (2006)
- Xenochrophis flavipunctatus, Olivier S.G. Pauwels et al. (2000)
- Xenochrophis flavipunctatus, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Natrix piscator flavipunctata, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1943)
- Amphiesma flavipunctatum, Edward Hallowell (1860)
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Ban Lat District, Phetchaburi
- Bang Mun Nak District, Phichit
- Bang Saphan District, Prachuap Khiri Khan
- Bueng Sam Phan District, Phetchabun
- Cha-Am District, Phetchaburi
- Dan Makham Tia District, Kanchanaburi
- Dong Charoen District, Phichit
- Hang Dong District, Chiang Mai
- Hua Hin District, Prachuap Khiri Khan
- Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Huai Krachao District, Kanchanaburi
- Kaeng Krachan District, Phetchaburi
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Khao Sok National Park
- Khao Yai National Park
- Khao Yoi District, Phetchaburi
- Khlong Luang District, Pathum Thani
- Khong Chai District, Kalasin
- Mae Rim District, Chiang Mai
- Mueang Kanchanaburi District, Kanchanaburi
- Mueang Phetchaburi District, Phetchaburi
- Mueang Rayong District, Rayong
- Mueang Sa Kaeo District, Sa Kaeo
- Mueang Udon Thani District, Udon Thani
- Nang Rong District, Buriram
- Nong Ya Plong District, Phetchaburi
- Pak Tho District, Ratchaburi
- Phu Kradueng National Park
- Phu Wua Wildlife Sanctuary
- Prachantakham District, Prachinburi
- San Sai District, Chiang Mai
- Saraphi District, Chiang Mai
- Suan Phueng District, Ratchaburi
- Tha Yang District, Phetchaburi
- Thai Charoen District, Yasothon
- Thap Lan National Park
- Watthana Nakhon District, Sa Kaeo
- Wichian Buri District, Phetchabun
Range map of Xenochrophis flavipunctatus in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits and Parinya Pawangkhanant for their help with many range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.