Thick-billed green pigeon
In Thai: นกเขาเปล้าธรรมดา, nok khao plao tham-ma-daa
Binomial name: Treron curvirostra, Johann Friedrich Gmelin, 1789
The thick-billed green pigeon (Treron curvirostra) is a species of bird in the family Columbidae.
Rather small-sized pigeon being under 26 cm as compared to other green pigeons. A thick pale greenish bill with red base, broad bluish-Green eye ring, grey crown and maroon mantle diagnostic. Wings have black primary and secondaries with yellow outer edge. Underside green in both sexes. Thighs dark green with whitish scales. Female has greenish undertail coverts with whitish scales. Males have maroon dorsum and dull chestnut undertail coverts.
It ranges across the eastern regions of the Indian Subcontinent and Southeast Asia, stretching from the Eastern Himalayas to Borneo and Sumatra.
Found across Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Tibet and Vietnam.
Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests and subtropical or tropical mangrove forests.
There are nine recognized sub-species of Treron curvirostra, which are as follows:
• T. c. curvirostra (Gmelin, 1789)- resident in Malay Penninsula and Sumatra, Indonesia.
• T. c. erimacrus (Oberholser, 1924)- resident in Balabac, Palawan and Mindoro (Philippines).
• T. c. hainanus (Hartert & Goodson, 1918)- resident in Hainan Island (Southeastern China).
• T. c. haliplous (Oberholser, 1912)- resident in Simeulue Island (Northwestern Sumatra, Indonesia).
• T. c. hypothapsinus (Oberholser, 1912)- resident in Enggano Island (off Southwestern Sumatra, Indonesia).
• T. c. nasica (Schlegel, 1863)- resident in Borneo (Brunei, Indonesia and Malaysia).
• T. c. nipalensis (Hodgson, 1836)- resident in Central Nepal, Northeastern India to Southern Indichina, through Bangladesh and Myanmar.
• T. c. pegus (Oberholser, 1912)- resident in Nias Island (off Western Sumatra, Indonesia).
• T. c. smicrus (Oberholser, 1912)- resident in Sipora, Siberut and Batu Islands. (off Western Sumatra, Indonesia)
Known to feed on syconia of Figs.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Treron curvirostra
- English: Thick-billed green pigeon
- Thai: นกเขาเปล้าธรรมดา, nok khao plao tham-ma-daa
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)