Species of Thailand
Common collared snake
Sibynophis collaris, John Edward Gray, 1853
(In Thai: งูคอขวั้นดำ, ngu khor khuan damm)
Sibynophis collaris, commonly known as the common many-toothed snake or the collared black-headed snake, is a species of colubrid snake endemic to South Asia.
Rostral scale twice as broad as deep, just visible from above; suture between the internasals shorter than that between the prefrontals; frontal longer than its distance from the end of the snout, as long as the parietals or shorter; loreal as long as or a little longer than deep; one preocular; two postoculars, only the upper in contact with the parietal; temporals 1 (or 2) + 2; 9 or 10 upper labials, fourth, fifth, and sixth entering the eye; 4 lower labials in contact with the anterior chin shields, which are as long as the posterior chin shields. Dorsal scales smooth, without apical pits, in 17 rows. Ventrals 159-190; anal divided; subcaudals divided, 102-131.
Brown above, vertebral region greyish, usually with a series of small round black spots; head with small black spots or vermiculations above, and two black crossbands, one across the posterior part of the frontal and supraoculars, the other across the occiput; a large black nuchal spot or crossband, bordered with yellow posteriorly; a black line from the nostril to the nuchal spot, passing through the eye, bordering the white black-dotted upper lip. Lower parts yellowish, each ventral with an outer black spot or streak, which may be confluent on the posterior part of the body; anterior ventrals with a pair of median dots in addition.
Total length 29 inches (737 mm); tail 9.5 inches (241 mm).
Sub-Himalayan India (Assam, Simla), Mizoram, Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar (Burma), Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, West Malaysia, China (SE Tibet and Yunnan), Taiwan and island of Jeju in South Korea (Type locality:Khasi Hills, India)
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Sibynophis collaris
- German: Halsbinden-Vielzahnnatter
- Common blackhead
- Common many-tooth snake
- Collared blackhead
- Thai: งูคอขวั้นดำ, ngu khor khuan damm
- Sibynophis collaris, Van Stanley Bartholomew Wallach et al. (2014)
- Sibynophis collaris, Nguyen Van Sang et al. (2009)
- Sibynophis collaris, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Sibynophis collaris, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Sibynophis collaris, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1943)
- Sibynophis collaris, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1930)
- Polyodontophis collaris, Frank Wall (1908)
- Polyodontophis collaris, George Albert Boulenger (1893)
- Coluber colubrinus, Edward Blyth (fide Philip Lutley Sclater) (1891)
- Polyodontophis collaris, George Albert Boulenger (1890)
- Ablabes collaris, Ferdinand Stoliczka (1871)
- Ablabes collaris, Albert Charles Lewis Günther (1858)
- Psammophis collaris, John Edward Gray (1853)