Species of Thailand
Common collared snake
Sibynophis collaris, John Edward Gray, 1853
(In Thai: งูคอขวั้นดำ, ngu khor khuan damm)
Sibynophis collaris, commonly known as the common many-toothed snake or the collared black-headed snake, is a species of colubrid snake endemic to South Asia.
Rostral scale twice as broad as deep, just visible from above; suture between the internasals shorter than that between the prefrontals; frontal longer than its distance from the end of the snout, as long as the parietals or shorter; loreal as long as or a little longer than deep; one preocular; two postoculars, only the upper in contact with the parietal; temporals 1 (or 2) + 2; 9 or 10 upper labials, fourth, fifth, and sixth entering the eye; 4 lower labials in contact with the anterior chin shields, which are as long as the posterior chin shields. Dorsal scales smooth, without apical pits, in 17 rows. Ventrals 159-190; anal divided; subcaudals divided, 102-131.
Brown above, vertebral region greyish, usually with a series of small round black spots; head with small black spots or vermiculations above, and two black crossbands, one across the posterior part of the frontal and supraoculars, the other across the occiput; a large black nuchal spot or crossband, bordered with yellow posteriorly; a black line from the nostril to the nuchal spot, passing through the eye, bordering the white black-dotted upper lip. Lower parts yellowish, each ventral with an outer black spot or streak, which may be confluent on the posterior part of the body; anterior ventrals with a pair of median dots in addition.
Total length 29 inches (737 mm); tail 9.5 inches (241 mm).
Sub-Himalayan India (Assam, Simla), Mizoram, Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar (Burma), Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, West Malaysia, China (SE Tibet and Yunnan), Taiwan and island of Jeju in South Korea (Type locality:Khasi Hills, India)
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Sibynophis collaris
- German: Halsbinden-Vielzahnnatter
- Common blackhead
- Common many-tooth snake
- Collared blackhead
- Thai: งูคอขวั้นดำ, ngu khor khuan damm
- Sibynophis collaris, Van Stanley Bartholomew Wallach et al. (2014)
- Sibynophis collaris, Nguyen Van Sang et al. (2009)
- Sibynophis collaris, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Sibynophis collaris, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Sibynophis collaris, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1943)
- Sibynophis collaris, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1930)
- Polyodontophis collaris, Frank Wall (1908)
- Polyodontophis collaris, George Albert Boulenger (1893)
- Coluber colubrinus, Edward Blyth (fide Philip Lutley Sclater) (1891)
- Polyodontophis collaris, George Albert Boulenger (1890)
- Ablabes collaris, Ferdinand Stoliczka (1871)
- Ablabes collaris, Albert Charles Lewis Günther (1858)
- Psammophis collaris, John Edward Gray (1853)
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
Please help us review our species pages if wrong photos are used or any other details in the page is wrong. We can be reached via our contact us page.