Species of Thailand
Common butterfly lizard
Leiolepis belliana, Thomas Hardwicke & John Edward Gray, 1827
(In Thai: แย้ใต้)
The common butterfly lizard (Leiolepis belliana), or simply butterfly lizard, is a widespread species native to Asia.
The specific name, belliana, is in honor of English zoologist Thomas Bell.
It can be found in the forests of Indochina, Thailand, and Malaysia.
It is known for the beautiful patterns on its back and sides. It has yellow spots on its back, and small orange and black lines on its sides.
This species has been introduced into the United States, in Florida. It seems to have an established population there.
It lives on land that has been prepared for agricultural uses, as well as open sandy land along the coasts.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Leiolepis belliana
- German: Prachtschmetterlingsagame
- Beauty butterfly lizard
- Common butterfly lizard
- Thai: แย้ใต้
Leiolepis belliana belliana, John Edward Gray, 1827
Leiolepis belliana ocellata, Günther Peters, 1971
Range: Myanmar (= Burma), N Thailand (Chinag Mai, Lampang, Nan, Phayao, Tak). Type locality: "Kokariet, Birma"
- Leiolepis ocellata, Larry Lee Grismer et al. (2014)
- Leiolepis ocellata, Olivier S. G. Pauwels & Chucheep Chimsunchart (2007)
- Leiolepis cf. belliana, Larry Lee Grismer et al. (2007)
- Leiolepis belliana belliana, Ulrich Manthey & Norbert Schuster (1999)
- Liolepis belliana, Lim & Lim (1999)
- Leiolepis belliana, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Leiolepis belliana, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Leiolepis belliana ocellata, Franz Tiedemann et al. (1994)
- Leiolepis belliana ocellata, Günther Peters (1971)
- Liolepis belliana, Edward Harrison Taylor (1963)
- Leiolepis belliana belliana, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1935)
- Liolepis belliana, G. Hope Sworder (1933)
- Leiolepis belliana, Giuseppe Scortecci (1932)
- Liolepis belliana, Nelly de Rooij (1915)
- Liolepis belliana, George Albert Boulenger (1890)
- Liolepis bellii, Theodore Edward Cantor (1847)
- Leiolepis bellii, John Edward Gray (1845)
- Uromastix belliana, Thomas Hardwicke & John Edward Gray (1835)
- Uromastyx belliana, Thomas Hardwicke & John Edward Gray (1827)
Please help us review our species pages if wrong photos are used or any other details in the page is wrong. We can be reached via our contact us page.