Species of Thailand
Binomial name: Locustella lanceolata, Coenraad Jacob Temminck, 1840
The lanceolated warbler (Locustella lanceolata) is an Old World warbler in the grass warbler genus Locustella. It breeds from northeast European Russia across northern Asia to northern Hokkaidō, Japan. It is migratory, wintering in south east Asia.
This small passerine bird is a species found in grassland with some thicker shrubby vegetation or trees, often close to water in bogs or wet clearings. Five eggs are laid in a nest in a tussock. This species is a rare vagrant to western Europe. One of the best places to see this skulking species as a vagrant is Fair Isle, Shetland.
This is a small warbler. The adult has a streaked brown back, whitish grey underparts, which have small lance-head like streaks, also found on the undertail. The sexes are identical, as with most warblers, but young birds are yellower below. Like most warblers, it is insectivorous.
This is a skulky species which is very difficult to see except sometimes when singing. It creeps through grass and low foliage.
The song is a monotonous mechanical insect-like reeling as in other species in the group, often given at dusk.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
Videos of Lanceolated warbler
- Locustella lanceolata
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Ban Laem District, Phetchaburi
- Ban Lueam District, Nakhon Ratchasima
- Ban Phai District, Khon Kaen
- Bang Len District, Nakhon Pathom
- Bang Pu Recreation Centre
- Bangkok Province
- Bueng Boraped Non-hunting Area
- Chae Son National Park
- Chatturat District, Chaiyaphum
- Chiang Saen District, Chiang Rai
- Doi Inthanon National Park
- Doi Suthep-Pui National Park
- Fang District, Chiang Mai
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Khao Ang Rue Nai Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Lak - Lam Ru National Park
- Khao Phra - Bang Khram Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
- Khao Soi Dao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Sok National Park
- Khao Yai National Park
- Khlong Luang District, Pathum Thani
- Klaeng District, Rayong
- Mae Ai District, Chiang Mai
- Mae Rim District, Chiang Mai
- Mae Taeng District, Chiang Mai
- Mae Wong National Park
- Mu Ko Surin National Park
- Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai
- Mueang Chiang Rai District, Chiang Rai
- Mueang Khon Kaen District, Khon Kaen
- Mueang Lamphun District, Lamphun
- Mueang Phetchaburi District, Phetchaburi
- Mueang Phuket District, Phuket
- Mueang Suphanburi District, Suphan Buri
- Mueang Tak District, Tak
- Nong Thung Thong Non-hunting Area
- Pak Phli District, Nakhon Nayok
- Pha Daeng National Park
- Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya District, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya
- Phra Phrom District, Nakhon Si Thammarat
- Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park
- Phu Luang Wildlife Sanctuary
- Pran Buri District, Prachuap Khiri Khan
- Sai Yok District, Kanchanaburi
- Samae San Island
- Samut Prakan Province
- Sri Nakarin Dam National Park
- Taksin Maharat National Park
- Thanyaburi District, Pathum Thani
- Thap Lan National Park
- Wat Phai Lom & Wat Ampu Wararam Non-hunting Area
Range map of Locustella lanceolata in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.