Species of Thailand
Common butterfly lizard
Binomial name: Leiolepis belliana, Thomas Hardwicke & John Edward Gray, 1827
The common butterfly lizard (Leiolepis belliana), or simply butterfly lizard, is a widespread species native to Asia.
The specific name, belliana, is in honor of English zoologist Thomas Bell.
It can be found in the forests of Indochina, Thailand, and Malaysia.
It is known for the beautiful patterns on its back and sides. It has yellow spots on its back, and small orange and black lines on its sides.
This species has been introduced into the United States, in Florida. It seems to have an established population there.
It lives on land that has been prepared for agricultural uses, as well as open sandy land along the coasts.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Leiolepis belliana
- German: Prachtschmetterlingsagame
- Beauty butterfly lizard
- Common butterfly lizard
- Thai: แย้ใต้
Leiolepis belliana belliana, John Edward Gray, 1827
Leiolepis belliana ocellata, Günther Peters, 1971
Range: Myanmar (= Burma), N Thailand (Chinag Mai, Lampang, Nan, Phayao, Tak). Type locality: "Kokariet, Birma"
- Leiolepis ocellata, Larry Lee Grismer et al. (2014)
- Leiolepis cf. belliana, Larry Lee Grismer et al. (2007)
- Leiolepis ocellata, Olivier S. G. Pauwels & Chucheep Chimsunchart (2007)
- Liolepis belliana, Lim & Lim (1999)
- Leiolepis belliana belliana, Ulrich Manthey & Norbert Schuster (1999)
- Leiolepis belliana, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Leiolepis belliana, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Leiolepis belliana ocellata, Franz Tiedemann et al. (1994)
- Leiolepis belliana ocellata, Günther Peters (1971)
- Liolepis belliana, Edward Harrison Taylor (1963)
- Leiolepis belliana belliana, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1935)
- Liolepis belliana, G. Hope Sworder (1933)
- Leiolepis belliana, Giuseppe Scortecci (1932)
- Liolepis belliana, Nelly de Rooij (1915)
- Liolepis belliana, George Albert Boulenger (1890)
- Liolepis bellii, Theodore Edward Cantor (1847)
- Leiolepis bellii, John Edward Gray (1845)
- Uromastix belliana, Thomas Hardwicke & John Edward Gray (1835)
- Uromastyx belliana, Thomas Hardwicke & John Edward Gray (1827)
- Ban Lat District, Phetchaburi
- Cha-Am District, Phetchaburi
- Hala-Bala Wildlife Sanctuary
- Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kaeng Krachan District, Phetchaburi
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Khao Lampi-Hat Thai Mueang National Park
- Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
- Klaeng District, Rayong
- Ko Pha-ngan District, Surat Thani
- Ko Samet
- Ko Yao District, Phang Nga
- Mueang Chaiyaphum District, Chaiyaphum
- Phuket Province
- Sai Yok National Park
- Si Racha District, Chonburi
- Similan Islands
- Ta Phraya National Park
- Tarutao National Marine Park
- Thap Sakae District, Prachuap Khiri Khan
Range map of Leiolepis belliana in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.