Species of Thailand
Thai: นกแต้วแล้วสีน้ำเงิน, nok taewlaew see namngoen
Binomial name: Pitta cyanea, Edward Blyth, 1843
The blue pitta (Hydrornis cyaneus) is a species of bird in the family Pittidae found in the Indian Subcontinent and Southeast Asia. The species is closely related to the Indian Pitta and Mangrove Pitta, and ranges across Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, India, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests and subtropical or tropical moist montane forests.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Pitta cyanea
- Thai: นกแต้วแล้วสีน้ำเงิน, nok taewlaew see namngoen
Pitta cyanea aurantiaca, Jean Théodore Delacour & Pierre Jabouille, 1928
Range: Cambodia and S/E Thailand
Pitta cyanea cyanea, Edward Blyth, 1843
Range: East Bangladesh, N/E India, South China, Myanmar, Thailand, Indochina
Pitta cyanea willoughbyi, Jean Théodore Delacour, 1926
Range: Central Laos, Vietnam
- Hydrornis cyaneus, Edward Blyth (1843)
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Chaloem Phrakiat Thai Prachan National Park
- Chiang Dao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Doi Inthanon National Park
- Doi Khun Tan National Park
- Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park
- Doi Phu Kha National Park
- Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kaeng Krachan District, Phetchaburi
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Khao Sok National Park
- Khao Yai National Park
- Khon San District, Chaiyaphum
- Khun Chae National Park
- Kui Buri National Park
- Mae Wong National Park
- Mueang Nakhon Nayok District, Nakhon Nayok
- Nam Nao National Park
- Pang Sida National Park
- Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park
- Phu Khiao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Phu Luang Wildlife Sanctuary
- Sangkhla Buri District, Kanchanaburi
- Taksin Maharat National Park
- Tat Mok National Park
- Tha Yang District, Phetchaburi
- Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary
Range map of Pitta cyanea in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.