Species of Thailand
Thai: นกนางนวลแกลบท้ายทอยดำ, nok naang-nuan klaep thai-thoy dam
Binomial name: Sterna sumatrana, Thomas Stamford Raffles, 1822
The black-naped tern (Sterna sumatrana) is an oceanic tern mostly found in tropical and subtropical areas of the Pacific and Indian Oceans. It is rarely found inland.
The tern is about 30 cm long with a wing length of 21–23 cm. Their beaks and legs are black, but the tips of their bills are yellow. They have long forked tails.
The black-naped tern has a white face and breast with a grayish-white back and wings. The first couple of their primary feathers are gray.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Sterna sumatrana
- English: Black-naped tern
- French: Sterne diamant
- Thai: นกนางนวลแกลบท้ายทอยดำ, nok naang-nuan klaep thai-thoy dam
Sterna sumatrana mathewsi, Erwin Stresemann, 1914
Range: Islands of the western Indian Ocean
Sterna sumatrana sumatrana, Thomas Stamford Raffles, 1822
Range: Islands of the eastern Indian Ocean through to the western Pacific & Australasia
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Bang Pu Recreation Centre
- Hat Noppharat Thara - Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park
- Kamphaeng Saen District, Nakhon Pathom
- Khao Laem Ya National Park
- Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
- Khura Buri District, Phang Nga
- Klaeng District, Rayong
- Ko Samui District, Surat Thani
- Ko Sichang District, Chonburi
- Ko Tao
- Laem Pak Bia
- Mu Ko Similan National Park
- Mu Ko Surin National Park
- Mueang Chonburi District, Chonburi
- Mueang Krabi District, Krabi
- Mueang Phang Nga District, Phang Nga
- Mueang Phuket District, Phuket
- Mueang Samut Sakhon District, Samut Sakhon
- Pak Thale
- Samae San Island
- Sathing Phra District, Songkhla
- Sattahip District, Chonburi
- Si Racha District, Chonburi
- Takua Pa District, Phang Nga
- Tarutao National Marine Park
- Thale Noi Non-hunting Area
- Than Sadet - Koh Pha-Ngan National Park
Range map of Sterna sumatrana in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits and Parinya Pawangkhanant for their help with many range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.