Species of Thailand
Binomial name: Luscinia calliope, Peter Simon Pallas, 1776
The Siberian rubythroat (Luscinia calliope) is a small passerine bird that was formerly classed as a member of the thrush family Turdidae, but is now more generally considered to be an Old World flycatcher, Muscicapidae. It, and similar small European species, are often called chats.
It is a migratory insectivorous species breeding in mixed coniferous forest with undergrowth in Siberia. It nests near the ground. It winters in Thailand, India and Indonesia. It is an extremely rare vagrant to Western Europe, having occurred on a very few occasions as far west as Britain. It is also an extremely rare vagrant to the Aleutian Islands, most notably on Attu Island.
The Siberian rubythroat is slightly larger than the European robin. It is plain brown above except for the distinctive black tail with red side patches. It has a strong white supercilium.
The male has a red throat edged with a narrow black and then a broad white border. It has a strong white supercilium. Females lack the brightly coloured throat and borders.
The male has a song like a harder version of the garden warbler.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Luscinia calliope
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Ban Phai District, Khon Kaen
- Bang Len District, Nakhon Pathom
- Bang Phra Non-hunting Area
- Bang Pu Recreation Centre
- Bangkok Province
- Bueng Boraped Non-hunting Area
- Chae Hom District, Lampang
- Chatturat District, Chaiyaphum
- Chiang Dao District, Chiang Mai
- Chiang Dao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Chiang Khong District, Chiang Rai
- Chiang Saen District, Chiang Rai
- Doi Chong National Park
- Doi Inthanon National Park
- Doi Lang
- Doi Lo District, Chiang Mai
- Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park
- Doi Suthep-Pui National Park
- Fang District, Chiang Mai
- Huai Chorakhe Mak Reservoir Non-hunting Area
- Kaeng Khro District, Chaiyaphum
- Kaeng Krachan District, Phetchaburi
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Kamphaeng Saen District, Nakhon Pathom
- Kaset Sombun District, Chaiyaphum
- Khao Phra - Bang Khram Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
- Khao Soi Dao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Yai National Park
- Khao Yoi District, Phetchaburi
- Khlong Luang District, Pathum Thani
- Khun Tan District, Chiang Rai
- Kut Thing Non-hunting Area
- Laem Pak Bia
- Lam Nam Kok National Park
- Mae Ai District, Chiang Mai
- Mae Rim District, Chiang Mai
- Mae Taeng District, Chiang Mai
- Mae Wong National Park
- Mueang Chaiyaphum District, Chaiyaphum
- Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai
- Mueang Chiang Rai District, Chiang Rai
- Mueang Chonburi District, Chonburi
- Mueang Khon Kaen District, Khon Kaen
- Mueang Lampang District, Lampang
- Mueang Maha Sarakham District, Maha Sarakham
- Mueang Phetchaburi District, Phetchaburi
- Mueang Suphanburi District, Suphan Buri
- Mueang Tak District, Tak
- Nam Nao National Park
- Nong Bong Khai Non-hunting Area
- Nong Ya Plong District, Phetchaburi
- Pai District, Mae Hong Son
- Pak Kret District, Nonthaburi
- Pang Sila Thong District, Kamphaeng Phet
- Phu Chi Fa Forest Park
- Sai Noi District, Nonthaburi
- Samut Prakan Province
- San Sai District, Chiang Mai
- Thanyaburi District, Pathum Thani
- Thawat Buri District, Roi Et
- Wiang Kaen District, Chiang Rai
Range map of Luscinia calliope in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.