Species of Thailand
Binomial name: Alophoixus pallidus, Robert Swinhoe, 1870
The puff-throated bulbul (Alophoixus pallidus) is a species of songbird in the Pycnonotidae family. It is found in Cambodia, China, Laos, Burma, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Its natural habitat is subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests.
It is a large (23 cm long) bulbul with olive upperparts, yellow underparts, and puffy white throat feathers. It is similar in appearance to the white-throated bulbul but with duller underparts. It has black feet and brown iris and bill. Males and females are visually indistinguishable.
The puff-throated bulbul is a regular but not an obligate cooperative breeder. Groups can comprise one or more breeding pairs and breed either cooperatively or non-cooperatively. In cases or multiple breeding pairs in a single territory, the pairs nest separately. The female builds the nest and incubates and broods the young. Males and helpers aid in feeding the nestlings and fledglings. Nests are open cups typically located in the understorey.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Alophoixus pallidus
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Chae Son National Park
- Chiang Dao District, Chiang Mai
- Chiang Dao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Chiang Khong District, Chiang Rai
- Doi Chong National Park
- Doi Inthanon National Park
- Doi Khun Tan National Park
- Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park
- Doi Phu Kha National Park
- Doi Saket District, Chiang Mai
- Doi Suthep-Pui National Park
- Huai Talat Reservoir Non-hunting Area
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Khao Yai National Park
- Khlong Kaeo Waterfall National Park
- Khon San District, Chaiyaphum
- Khun Chae National Park
- Khun Korn Forest Park
- Khun Nan National Park
- Khun Tan District, Chiang Rai
- Lam Nam Kok National Park
- Mae Fa Luang District, Chiang Rai
- Mae Rim District, Chiang Mai
- Mae Taeng District, Chiang Mai
- Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai
- Mueang Nong Khai District, Nong Khai
- Nam Nao National Park
- Pa Sang District, Lamphun
- Pang Sida National Park
- Pha Daeng National Park
- Phan District, Chiang Rai
- Phu Chong Na Yoi National Park
- Phu Foi Lom National Park
- Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park
- Phu Khiao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Phu Langka National Park
- Phu Luang Wildlife Sanctuary
- Phu Soi Dao National Park
- Phu Suan Sai National Park
- Phu Wiang National Park
- Ramkhamhaeng National Park
- Sakaerat Environmental Research Station
- Tat Mok National Park
- Tham Sakoen National Park
- Thung Salaeng Luang National Park
- Wiang Kosai National Park
Range map of Alophoixus pallidus in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.