Species of Thailand
White-bellied rat snake
Ptyas fusca, Albert Charles Lewis Günther, 1858
(In Thai: งูสิงใต้, ngu sing dtai)
Ptyas fusca, commonly known as the White-bellied Rat Snake or Brown Rat Snake, is a species of colubrid snake. It is found in Indonesia, Brunei, Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore.
The White-bellied Rat Snake prefers forested habitats.They are known to prey on frogs and lizards and fish. It is known to remain still and hold neck erect when disturbed-a threatening posture.
The adults range from brown to brick-red colour on the upper surface. Ventral scales are white to pale yellowish in colour. Thick black stripes on either side of the posterior body and tail is a characteristic feature. Juveniles often greenish in coloration. The pupil is rounded and large.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Ptyas fusca
- German: Braune Rattenschlange
- White-bellied rat snake
- Brown rat snake
- งูสิงใต้, ngu sing dtai
- งูสิงทอง, ngu sing thong
- Ptyas fusca, Van Stanley Bartholomew Wallach et al. (2014)
- Ptyas fusca, Patrick David & Indraneil Das (2004)
- Ptyas fuscus, Rudolf Malkmus et al. (2002)
- Ptyas fuscus, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Ptyas fuscus, Patrick David & Gernot Vogel (1996)
- Zaocys fuscusv, Ulrich Manthey (1983)
- Zaocys fuscus, Ulrich Manthey (1983)
- Zaocys fuscus, Alice Georgie Cruickshank Grandison (1978)
- Ptyas fuscus, Frank Wall (1923)
- Zaocys fuscus, George Albert Boulenger (1893)
- Zaocys (Zapyrus) fuscus, Oskar Boettger (1887)
- Zapyrus fuscus, George Albert Boulenger (1885)
- Zaocys fuscus, Albert Charles Lewis Günther (1864)
- Coryphodon fuscus, Albert Charles Lewis Günther (1858)
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
We have created a micro website to show daily statistics over snake observation logs collected from a few Facebook groups. It is possible to see some detailed statistics and download data free for research or any other purpose. Follow this link to open the site.