Species of Thailand
Thai: นกขุนแผนอกสีส้ม, nok khun phaen ok see som
Binomial name: Harpactes oreskios, Coenraad Jacob Temminck, 1823
The orange-breasted trogon (Harpactes oreskios) is a species of bird in the Trogonidae family.
Distribution and habitat
The trogon is found in Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests and subtropical or tropical moist montane forests, humid, lower-to-middle elevation evergreen forests, swampy forests, open dry forests, bamboo forests, thin tree jungles, and sometimes among clumps of trees near forests.
Orange-breasted trogons generally have an olive-yellow head with feathers that are bristled and upright, chestnut upperparts, orange breast that changes to bright yellow on upper and lower portions, white bars on wing sections, and a blue bill. Males have a dull olive-yellowish head with a blue ring; rufous (reddish brown) upperparts and upper tail with paler rump (lower part of back); broad white bars on wing sections; and yellow (grey-based) upper breast with some white along the mid-line. Females have additional grey-brown on head and upperparts; pale buffy-brown rump, grey breast; and yellow lower underparts. Juveniles are similar to females, with young males having warmer brown upperparts.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Harpactes oreskios
- Thai: นกขุนแผนอกสีส้ม, nok khun phaen ok see som
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Bang Lang National Park
- Chaloem Rattanakosin National Park
- Chiang Dao District, Chiang Mai
- Chiang Dao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Doi Inthanon National Park
- Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park
- Hala-Bala Wildlife Sanctuary
- Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kaeng Krachan District, Phetchaburi
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Khao Ang Rue Nai Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Banthat Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Khitchakut National Park
- Khao Laem National Park
- Khao Luang National Park
- Khao Nan National Park
- Khao Phanom Bencha National Park
- Khao Phra - Bang Khram Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Phra Thaeo Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Pu - Khao Ya National Park
- Khao Soi Dao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Sok National Park
- Khao Yai National Park
- Khlong Lan National Park
- Khlong Saeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khon San District, Chaiyaphum
- Khun Nan National Park
- Ko Lanta National Park
- Kui Buri National Park
- Mae Moei National Park
- Mae Ping National Park
- Mae Wong National Park
- Mueang Chumphon District, Chumphon
- Mueang Krabi District, Krabi
- Nam Nao National Park
- Ob Khan National Park
- Omkoi Wildlife Sanctuary
- Pang Sida National Park
- Pha Daeng National Park
- Phu Foi Lom National Park
- Phu Khiao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Phu Wiang National Park
- Sai Yok National Park
- Sakaerat Environmental Research Station
- San Kala Khiri National Park
- Sri Phang-nga National Park
- Tarutao National Marine Park
- Thale Ban National Park
- Thong Pha Phum National Park
- Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary
- Wang Mai Forest Restoration Project
- Wiang Lo Wildlife Sanctuary
Range map of Harpactes oreskios in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.