Species of Thailand
Mekong snail-eating turtle
Thai: เต่านา, dtao naa
Binomial name: Malayemys subtrijuga, Hermann Schlegel & Salomon Müller, 1845
The Mekong snail-eating turtle (Malayemys subtrijuga) is a species of turtle in the Geoemydidae family. It was monotypic within the genus Malayemys until Brophy (2004, 2005) revalidated (based on morphology) Malayemys macrocephala (Gray, 1859) long time considered to be a synonym of M. subtrijuga.
The Mekong snail-eating turtle is found in the Mekong River basin of Cambodia, Laos, southern Vietnam, and northeastern Thailand. Introduced in Java, Indonesia. The occurrence of the species in Indonesia is regarded by Brophy (2005) to be allochtonous, i.e., non-native (Sumatra) or extinct (Java).
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Malayemys subtrijuga
- German: Malaiischer Schneckenfresser
- English: (Malayan) Snail-eating turtle
- Thai: เต่านา, dtao naa
- Malayemys subtrijuga, Turtle Taxonomy Working Group (TTWG) (2014)
- Malayemys subtrijuga, Timothy R. Brophy (2004)
- Malayemys subtrijuga, Maik Schilde (2004)
- Malayemis sic subtrijuga, Tanya Chan-Ard et al. (1999)
- Malayemys subtrijuga, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Malayemys subtrijuga, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Malayemys subtrijuga, Wassili Adolfovitch Lindholm (1931)
- Damonia subtrijuga, George Albert Boulenger (1889)
- Cistudo gibbosa, Pieter Bleeker (1889)
- Damonia oblonga, John Edward Gray (1871)
- Damonia crassiceps, John Edward Gray (1870)
- Damonia (?) crassiceps, John Edward Gray (1870)
- Emys nuchalis, Edward Blyth (1863)
- Emys subtrijuga, Coenraad Jacob Temminck & Hermann Schlegel (1845)
- Emys subtrijuga, Hermann Schlegel & Salomon Müller (1844)
- Emys herrmanni, August Friedrich Schweigger (1812)
- Emys hermanni, August Friedrich Schweigger (1812)
No photo for this species yet
- Phimai District, Nakhon Ratchasima
Range map of Malayemys subtrijuga in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.