Species of Thailand
Pink-headed reed snake
Thai: งูพงอ้อหัวแดง, ngu pong ao hua daeng
Binomial name: Calamaria schlegeli, André Marie Constant Duméril & Gabriel Bibron, 1854
Calamaria schlegli or the Pink Headed Reed Snake is a relatively small sized burrowing or fossorial snake. It is called reed snake due to its cylindrical body. Nocturnal in habit, it mainly feeds on slugs and frogs
The key identification characters are modified maxillary teeth and scale characteristics. The third and fourth upper lip scales touch the eye. The mental scale does not touch the anterior chin shields. The nasal scales are oriented laterally. There is considerable geographic variation. Preocular scales are present in snakes from Singapore and Malaya but absent in those from Java and sometimes present on those from Borneo and Sumatra.
It has a characteristic pink head and glossy sheen on the body. Often confused with the Blue Malayan Coral Snake Calliophis bivirgatus.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Calamaria schlegeli
- German: Schlegels Riednatter
- Pink-headed reed snake
- Red-headed reed snake
- White-headed reed snake
- Thai: งูพงอ้อหัวแดง, ngu pong ao hua daeng
Calamaria schlegeli cuvieri, Giorgio Jan, 1862
Calamaria schlegeli schlegeli, André Marie Constant Duméril, Gabriel Bibron & Auguste Duméril, 1854
- Calamaria schlegeli, Van Stanley Bartholomew Wallach et al. (2014)
- Calamaria schegeli, Samuel D. Howard & Graeme R. Gillespie (2007)
- Calamaria schlegelii, Robert Frederick Inger & Harold Knight Voris (2001)
- Calamaria schlegelii, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Calamaria schegeli, Robert Frederick Inger & Hymen Marx (1965)
- Calamaria schlegeli cuvieri, Robert Frederick Inger & Hymen Marx (1965)
- Keiometopon booliati, Edward Harrison Taylor (1962)
- Calamaria leucocephala, Michael Wilmer Forbes Tweedie (1954)
- Calamaria leucocephala, Robert Mertens (1930)
- Calamaria leucocephala, George Albert Boulenger (1894)
- Calamaria agamensis, George Albert Boulenger (1894)
- Calamaria iris, Oskar Boettger (1873)
- Calamaria martapurensis, Abraham Carel J. Edeling (1865)
- Calamaria schlegeli , Giorgio Jan (1865)
- Calamaria cuvieri, Giorgio Jan (1865)
- Calamaria nigro alba, Albert Charles Lewis Günther (1864)
- Calamaria cuvieri, Giorgio Jan (1862)
- Calamaria dumerili, Pieter Bleeker (1860)
- Calamaria sinkawangensis, Pieter Bleeker (1860)
- Calamaria agamensis, Pieter Bleeker (1859)
- Calamaria schlegeli schlegeli, André Marie Constant Duméril & Gabriel Bibron (1854)
- Calamaria schlegeli, André Marie Constant Duméril & Gabriel Bibron (1854)
- Calamaria leucocephala, André Marie Constant Duméril & Gabriel Bibron (1854)
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Khok Pho District, Pattani
Range map of Calamaria schlegeli in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits and Parinya Pawangkhanant for their help with many range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.