Species of Thailand
Collared reed snake
Calamaria pavimentata, André Marie Constant Duméril, Gabriel Bibron & Auguste Duméril, 1854
(In Thai: งูพงอ้อท้องเหลือง (ngu plong ao tong leuang))
The collared reed snake (Calamaria pavimentata) is a species of colubrid snake found in Asia. In Japan, it is also called Miyara's collared snake.
The rostral is as deep as it is broad, and it is well visible from above. The frontal is longer than broad, shorter than the parietals, and 2.0 to 2.5 times as broad as the supraocular. C. pavimentata has one preocular scale and one postocular scale with four upper labials (the second and fourth are the largest, with the second and third entering the eye). The first pair of lower labials form a suture behind the mental scale. There are two pairs of chin shields, each pair in contact with the other. The scales are in 13 rows. There are 140–182 ventral scales, the anal scale is entire, and it has 13–27 subcaudal scales, and a pointed tail.
The collared reed snake is reddish-brown above, with five dark longitudinal lines or series of spots. The nape is dark brown and separated from the back by a yellow collar. A pair of yellow spots is seen at the base and another at the end of the tail. The lower parts show a uniform yellow with a dark line along the tail in the Burmese and Javan specimens, obscured with brown mottlings or brown with lighter borders in C. p. siamensis.
The total length of the body is 12.5 cm with a 0.6-in (1.5-cm) tail.
This snake can be found in India (Assam), Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, west Malaysia (including Pulau Tioman), Indonesia, south and southwest China (including Hainan), Taiwan, and Japan (Ryukyu Islands).
Type locality: Java, Indonesia
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Calamaria pavimentata
- German: Braune Riednatter
- English: Collared reed snake
- Thai: งูพงอ้อท้องเหลือง (ngu plong ao tong leuang)
Calamaria pavimentata miarai, Takara, 1962
Range: Japan (Yonagunijima)
Calamaria pavimentata pavimentata, André Marie Constant Duméril, Gabriel Bibron & Auguste Duméril, 1854
Range: India, West Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, China, Taiwan, Japan
- Calamaria pavimentata, Van Stanley Bartholomew Wallach et al. (2014)
- Calamaria pavimentata miyarai, Richard C Goris & Norio Maeda (2004)
- Calamaria pavimentata, Robert Frederick Inger & Harold Knight Voris (2001)
- Calamaria pavimentata miyarai, Hidetoshi Ota (2000)
- Calamaria pavimentata, Indraneil Das (1996)
- Calamaria pavimentata miarai, Takara (1962)
- Calamaria uniformis, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1943)
- Calamaria pavimentata annamensis, René Léon Bourret (1937)
- Calamaria pavimentata pavimentata, Clifford H. Pope (1935)
- Calamaria pavimentata banaensis, René Léon Bourret (1934)
- Calamaria pavimentata formosana, Moichirō Maki (1931)
- Calamaria pavimentata var. uniformis, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1921)
- Calamaria berezowskii, Leonhard Hess Stejneger (1907)
- Calamaria berezowskii, Albert Charles Lewis Günther (1896)
- Calamaria quadrimaculata, Giorgio Jan (1865)
- Calamaria siamensis, Albert Charles Lewis Günther (1864)
- Calamaria quadri maculata, André Marie Constant Duméril, Gabriel Bibron & Auguste Duméril (1854)
- Calamaria pavimentata, André Marie Constant Duméril, Gabriel Bibron & Auguste Duméril (1854)
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
Please help us review our species pages if wrong photos are used or any other details in the page is wrong. We can be reached via our contact us page.