Species of Thailand
Thai: นกเงือกกรามช้าง, nok ngeuak kraam chaang
Binomial name: Rhyticeros undulatus, George Shaw, 1811
The wreathed hornbill (Rhyticeros undulatus), also known as the bar-pouched wreathed hornbill, is a species of hornbill found in forests from far north-eastern India and Bhutan, east and south through mainland Southeast Asia and the Greater Sundas, except Sulawesi. It is long. Males weigh from to , and females weigh from to . Both sexes are similar to the respective sexes of the closely related plain-pouched hornbill, but the wreathed hornbill can be recognized by the dark bar on the lower throat (hence the alternative common name, bar-pouched). Though commonly considered monotypic, evidence suggests some geographical variation in the appearance.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Rhyticeros undulatus
- Thai: นกเงือกกรามช้าง, nok ngeuak kraam chaang
- Aceros undulatus
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Chiang Dao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Hala-Bala Wildlife Sanctuary
- Hat Yai District, Songkhla
- Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Kaeng Krung National Park
- Khao Ang Rue Nai Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Banthad Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Luang National Park
- Khao Phra - Bang Khram Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Soi Dao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Sok National Park
- Khao Yai National Park
- Khlong Nakha Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khlong Phanom National Park
- Khlong Saeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kromluang Chumphon Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kui Buri National Park
- Mae Wong National Park
- Mueang Krabi District, Krabi
- Mueang Tak District, Tak
- Nam Nao National Park
- Pang Sida National Park
- Phu Khiao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Sai Yok District, Kanchanaburi
- Sri Phang-nga National Park
- Tarutao National Marine Park
- Tat Mok National Park
- Thale Ban National Park
- Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary
- Ton Nga-Chang Wildlife Sanctuary
Range map of Rhyticeros undulatus in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.