Species of Thailand
Thai: ตะกวด, ta kuwad
Binomial name: Varanus nebulosus, John Edward Gray, 1931
The clouded monitor (Varanus nebulosus) is a species of monitor lizard, native to Burma, Thailand and Indochina to West Malaysia, Singapore, Java, and Sumatra. They are excellent tree climbers. It belongs to the subgenus Euprepiosaurus along with the peach-throated monitor, the Ceram mangrove monitor and other monitor lizards. It had previously been listed as a subspecies of Varanus bengalensis by some herpetologists. It is a diurnal monitor.
Clouded monitors can, on occasion, grow up to 1.5 metres long.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Varanus nebulosus
- German: Nebelwaran
- Clouded monitor
- Southeast Asian monitor
- ตะกวด, ta kuwad
- กวดพร้าว, kuwad praow
- แลน, laan
- Varanus (Empagusia) nebulosus, André Koch et al. (2013)
- Varanus bengalensis nebulosus, Olivier S.G. Pauwels et al. (2003)
- Varanus nebulosus, Larry Lee Grismer et al. (2002)
- Varanus nebulosus, Hien et al. (2001)
- Varanus bengalensis nebulosus, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Varanus bengalensis vietnamensis, H.F. De Lisle (1996)
- Varanus vietnamensis, Yang & Liu (1994)
- Varanus bengalensis nebulosus, Alice Georgie Cruickshank Grandison (1972)
- Varanus nebulosus, John Roscoe Hendrickson (1966)
- Varanus bengalensis nebulosus, Robert Mertens (1942)
- Varanus nebulosus, Nelly de Rooij (1915)
- Varanus nebulosus, George Albert Boulenger (1885)
- Varanus nebulosus, André Marie Constant Duméril & Gabriel Bibron (1836)
- Monitor nebulosus, John Edward Gray (1831)
- Ban Lat District, Phetchaburi
- Cha-Am District, Phetchaburi
- Doi Suthep-Pui National Park
- Hua Hin District, Prachuap Khiri Khan
- Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Khao Phanom Bencha National Park
- Khao Soi Dao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Sok National Park
- Khao Yai National Park
- Khao Yoi District, Phetchaburi
- Khlong Nakha Wildlife Sanctuary
- Ko Kut District, Trat
- Ko Lanta District, Krabi
- Ko Lanta National Park
- Kui Buri National Park
- Mueang Krabi District, Krabi
- Nam Nao National Park
- Pang Sida National Park
- Phu Khiao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Phuket Province
- Surin Islands
- Tarutao National Marine Park
- Tha Mai District, Chanthaburi
- Tha Yang District, Phetchaburi
- Thalang District, Phuket
- Thale Ban National Park
- Yan Ta Khao District, Trang
Range map of Varanus nebulosus in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
It is free to use this map on various media. See the creative common license terms by clicking "CC" icon below the map. But remember, again; the map may not be accurate or complete.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Biodiversity Survey & Species ID group on Facebook.