Species of Thailand
Thai: เห่าช้าง, hao chang
Binomial name: Varanus rudicollis, John Edward Gray, 1845
The black roughneck monitor lizard, Varanus rudicollis, is a species of monitor lizard found in Southeast Asian countries of Thailand, Burma, and Malaysia. It is also found in Indonesia on Sumatra and islands of the Rhio Archipelago It is sometimes known simply as the roughneck monitor lizard.
The habitat of Varanus rudicollis is limited to primary and secondary rainforest and mangrove swamps. In the wild the black roughneck monitor is very rarely seen, but whether this is because of its rarity or its very secretive behavior is uncertain. They are often kept successfully in captivity, but have a shy disposition.
The roughneck is a medium to large monitor. It usually reaches an average adult size of 3–4 ft. (90–120 cm), with a maximum length of 5 cm, reported. The rough-necked monitor can be easily recognised by large pointed scales adorning the necks of adults.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Varanus rudicollis
- German: Rauhnackenwaran
- English: Roughneck monitor
- เห่าช้าง, hao chang
- คอลั้ง, kor lung
- เห่าดง, hao dong
- Varanus (Empagusia) rudicollis, André Koch et al. (2013)
- Varanus rudicollis, Larry Lee Grismer (2011)
- Varanus rudicollis, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Varanus (Empagusia) rudicollis, Thomas Ziegler & Wolfgang Böhme (1997)
- Varanus rudicollis, H.F. De Lisle (1996)
- Varanus rudicollis, Edward Harrison Taylor (1963)
- Varanus swarti, Mangili (1962)
- Varanus (Varanus) salvator scutigerulus, Robert Mertens (1942)
- Varanus (Dendrovaranus) rudicollis, Robert Mertens (1942)
- Varanus scutigerulus, Thomas Barbour (1932)
- Varanus rudicollis, Nelly de Rooij (1915)
- Varanus rudicollis, George Albert Boulenger (1885)
- Uaranus sic rudicollis, John Edward Gray (1845)
No photo for this species yet
- Betong District, Yala
- Hala-Bala Wildlife Sanctuary
- Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Khao Lak - Lam Ru National Park
- Khao Phra Thaeo Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Pu - Khao Ya National Park
- Khao Sok National Park
- Khlong Nakha Wildlife Sanctuary
- Mueang Krabi District, Krabi
- Nakhon Si Thammarat Province
- Sri Phang-nga National Park
- Tai Rom Yen National Park
- Thale Ban National Park
Range map of Varanus rudicollis in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.