Species of Thailand
Hong Kong whipping frog
Binomial name: Polypedates megacephalus, Edward Hallowell, 1861
Polypedates megacephalus, the Hong Kong Whipping Frog or Spot-legged Tree Frog, is a species in the shrub frog family (Rhacophoridae). In its native range, it is also called "brown tree frog", but this name is otherwise applied to a species of the true tree frog family (Hylidae).
Distribution and ecology
This species is native in central, southern and southwestern China (including Hong Kong, Taiwan and Hainan) and Indo-China peninsula. It is closely related to Polypedates leucomystax and always included in P. leucomystex species complex, along with P. mutus and P. braueri.
Previously, P. megacephalus was thought to distribute above the Red River of Vietnam and in Northeast India, while P. leucomystex was generally found south of the Red River and in western Yunnan. However, recent genetic studies revealed that the natural barriers between these species are the Isthmus of Kra and the Tenasserim Range, where P. megacephalus can be found above the isthmus and east of the range.
This frog is listed as Least Concern in view of its wide distribution in Asia and its tolerance of a broad range of habitats. It also because of its presumed large population.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Polypedates megacephalus
- Hong Kong whipping frog
- Spot-legged treefrog
- White-lipped treefrog
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Cha-Am District, Phetchaburi
- Chok Chai District, Nakhon Ratchasima
- Hua Hin District, Prachuap Khiri Khan
- Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kaeng Krachan District, Phetchaburi
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Khao Chamao - Khao Wong National Park
- Khao Khitchakut District, Chanthaburi
- Khao Khitchakut National Park
- Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
- Khao Soi Dao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Yai National Park
- Kui Buri District, Prachuap Khiri Khan
- Kui Buri National Park
- Mueang Bueng Kan District, Bueng Kan
- Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai
- Mueang Kalasin District, Kalasin
- Mueang Phetchaburi District, Phetchaburi
- Nam Som District, Udon Thani
- Pha Daeng National Park
- Phu Kradueng National Park
- Prachantakham District, Prachinburi
- Sai Yok National Park
- Si Racha District, Chonburi
- Tha Mai District, Chanthaburi
- Thung Salaeng Luang National Park
Range map of Polypedates megacephalus in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
It is free to use this map on various media. See the creative common license terms by clicking "CC" icon below the map. But remember, again; the map may not be accurate or complete.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Biodiversity Survey & Species ID group on Facebook.