Species of Thailand
Thai: เต่าลายตีนเป็ด, dtao lai teen ped
Binomial name: Batagur borneoensis, Hermann Schlegel & Salomon Müller, 1844
The painted terrapin, painted batagur, or saw-jawed turtle (Batagur borneoensis) is a species of turtles in the Geoemydidae family. It was formerly in its own genus, Callagur, but has been reclassified to the genus, Batagur.
It is distributed in the Rainforest of Brunei, Indonesia (Sumatra and Kalimanta), Malaysia, and Thailand.
The painted terrapin is critically endangered species according IUCN, listed in The World's Most 25 Endangered Freshwater Turtles and Tortoises 2011. It is listed in Appendix II, with a zero quota for commercial trade of wild-captured specimens according to the CITES meeting in Thailand, March 2013.
Batagur borneoensis is a priority species to be conserved in Indonesia according Minister of Forestry Decree No. 57 Year 2008 about Strategic Direction of National Species Conservation 2008–18. In Malaysia, this species is protected by the World Wide Fund for Nature.
Harvesting by fishermen to eat, poaching to meet pet and food demand, habitat loss due to land conversion to palm oil, and fish and shrimp farming are major threats.
Conservation efforts in Sumatra, Indonesia, are ongoing to increase wild populations by carrying out nesting patrols to secure and hatch the eggs, for later release into original habitats.
In Malaysia, the Painted Terrapin is protected through the WWF's Hawksbill Turtle and Painted Terrapin conservation project. The project aims establish the protection and effective management of critical nesting habitats of Painted Terrapins and their key habitats, through measures that are scientifically based and socially acceptable, and that can be sustained in the long term by government, the local community and other stakeholders.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Batagur borneoensis
- German: Callagur-Flussschildkröte
- Painted batagur
- Painted terrapin
- Saw-jawed terrapin
- Three-striped batagur
- Thai: เต่าลายตีนเป็ด, dtao lai teen ped
- Batagur borneoensis, Le et al. (2007)
- Callagur borneoensis, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Callagur borneoensis, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Callagur pictus, Peter Charles Howard Pritchard (1967)
- Callagur borneoensis, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1930)
- Callagur borneensis, Nelly de Rooij (1915)
- Kachuga brookei, Edward Bartlett (1895)
- Callagur picta, George Albert Boulenger (1889)
- Batagur borneensis, Hubrecht (1881)
- Tetraonyx pictus, William Theobald (1876)
- Kachuga major, John Edward Gray (1873)
- Callagur picta, John Edward Gray (1870)
- Cantorella affinis, John Edward Gray (1870)
- Clemmys grayi, Alexander Strauch (1865)
- Batagur picta, John Edward Gray (1863)
- Batagur picta, John Edward Gray (1862)
- Clemmys borneoensis, Alexander Strauch (1862)
- Tetraonyx affinis, Theodore Edward Cantor (1847)
- Emys borneoensis, Hermann Schlegel & Salomon Müller (1845)
- Callagur borneoensis, Hermann Schlegel & Salomon Müller (1844)
- Emys borneoensis, Hermann Schlegel & Salomon Müller (1844)