Species of Thailand
Thai: นกคัคคูพันธุ์หิมาลัย, nok khak-khu Hi-ma-lai
Binomial name: Cuculus saturatus, Edward Blyth, 1843
The Himalayan cuckoo (Cuculus saturatus) is a species of cuckoo in the genus Cuculus. It breeds from the Himalayas eastward to southern China and Taiwan. It migrates to southeast Asia and the Greater Sunda Islands for the winter.
It was formerly known as "Oriental cuckoo" and contained several subspecies found over most of Asia. In 2005, it was determined that this "species" consists of three distinct lineages:
- Himalayan cuckoo, Cuculus (saturatus) saturatus
- Oriental cuckoo proper, Cuculus (saturatus) optatus
- Sunda cuckoo, Cuculus (saturatus) lepidus
These are usually seen as distinct species nowadays. As the type specimen of the former "Oriental" cuckoo is a bird of the Himalayan population, the name saturatus applies to the Himalayan cuckoo if it is considered a species.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Cuculus saturatus
- Thai: นกคัคคูพันธุ์หิมาลัย, nok khak-khu Hi-ma-lai
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Ban Laem District, Phetchaburi
- Bangkok Province
- Doi Inthanon National Park
- Doi Lang
- Erawan National Park
- Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Khao Ang Rue Nai Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
- Khao Sok National Park
- Khao Yai National Park
- Khon San District, Chaiyaphum
- Khun Tan District, Chiang Rai
- Klaeng District, Rayong
- Kui Buri National Park
- Laem Pak Bia
- Mae Ping National Park
- Mae Wong National Park
- Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai
- Mueang Khon Kaen District, Khon Kaen
- Mueang Nonthaburi District, Nonthaburi
- Mueang Phetchaburi District, Phetchaburi
- Mueang Ranong District, Ranong
- Mueang Suphanburi District, Suphan Buri
- Nam Nao National Park
- Pai District, Mae Hong Son
- Phu Luang Wildlife Sanctuary
- Phu Suan Sai National Park
- Phutthamonthon District, Nakhon Pathom
- Sai Yok District, Kanchanaburi
- Samae San Island
- Samut Prakan Province
- Surin Islands
- Taphan Hin District, Phichit
- Thanyaburi District, Pathum Thani
Range map of Cuculus saturatus in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.