Species of Thailand
Grey-throated sand martin
Binomial name: Riparia chinensis, John Edward Gray, 1830
The grey-throated martin or Asian plain martin (Riparia chinensis) is a small passerine bird in the swallow family.
The grey-throated martin is found in open habitats such as farmland, grassland and savannah, usually near water. It is found from Tajikistan, Afghanistan and Indian subcontinent to southern China, Taiwan, and the northern Philippines. It was formerly considered a subspecies of the "plain martin", since renamed the brown-throated martin.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Riparia chinensis
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Chiang Khong District, Chiang Rai
- Chiang Saen District, Chiang Rai
- Doi Inthanon National Park
- Doi Lo District, Chiang Mai
- Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park
- Doi Suthep-Pui National Park
- Khun Chae National Park
- Khun Tan District, Chiang Rai
- Kumphawapi District, Udon Thani
- Kut Thing Non-hunting Area
- Mae Taeng District, Chiang Mai
- Mueang Chiang Rai District, Chiang Rai
- Nong Bong Khai Non-hunting Area
- Pa Sang District, Lamphun
- Wiang Kaen District, Chiang Rai
Range map of Riparia chinensis in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.