Species of Thailand
Thai: ตุ๊ดตู่, tud dtoo
Binomial name: Varanus dumerilii, Hermann Schlegel, 1839
Dumeril's monitor (Varanus dumerilii) is a species of lizard, endemic to Southeast Asia. It is a member of the family Varanidae.
The specific name, dumerilii, is a Latinized form of the name of the scientist who first described this species, French herpetologist André Marie Constant Duméril.
Dumeril's monitor is found in southern Burma and north of the Isthmus of Kra to Kanchanaburi Province in Thailand, as well as in Peninsular Malaysia, throughout Borneo, Sumatra, Riau, Bangka–Belitung and other smaller islands of Indonesia.
Their habitat is dense evergreen forests with high humidity and mangrove swamps.
This monitor is a crab specialist; however, it has been observed eating snails, insects, molluscs, fish, frogs, and smaller rodents. Little is known overall about this species compared to other monitor lizards.
Adult Dumeril's monitors are largely dark coffee-brown in colour, with occasional brighter indistinct crossbars. For juveniles the colors and patterns are quite different. "The major color is a dark varnish black which is interrupted by several yellow crossways bars on the back." Juveniles have shiny orange red or, sometimes yellow heads. This youth coloration disappears after only 4–8 weeks. Adult Dumeril's can reach up to 4.5 m in total length (including tail) although typical length is 4 m long.
There are two described subspecies:
- Varanus dumerilii dumerilii
- Varanus dumerilii heteropholis
Note: Sprackland made V. d. heteropholis a synonym of V. d. dumerilii
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Varanus dumerilii
- German: Dumerilwaran
- English: Dumeril monitor
- ตุ๊ดตู่, tud dtoo
- เห่าช้างขาว, hao chang kao
Varanus dumerilii dumerilii, Hermann Schlegel, 1839
Range: Thailand, Myanmar, West Malaysia, Indonesia, Sarawak, Singapore
Varanus dumerilii heteropholis, George Albert Boulenger, 1892
Range: Sarawak, Malaysia
- Varanus (Empagusia) dumerilii, André Koch (2013)
- Varanus dumerilii, Eric Rodger Pianka & Laurie Joseph Vitt (2003)
- Varanus dumerilii, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Varanus dumerilii, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Varanus (Empagusia) dumerilii, Thomas Ziegler & Wolfgang Böhme (1997)
- Varanus dumerili heteropholis, H.F. De Lisle (1996)
- Varanus dumerili dumerilii, H.F. De Lisle (1996)
- Varanus (Tectovaranus) dumerilii dumerilii, Robert Mertens (1942)
- Varanus dumerili heteropholis, Robert Mertens (1942)
- Varanus heteropholis, Nelly de Rooij (1915)
- Varanus dumerili, Nelly de Rooij (1915)
- Varanus heteropholis, George Albert Boulenger (1892)
- Varanus dumerilii, George Albert Boulenger (1885)
- Varanus macrolepis, William Thomas Blanford (1881)
- Varanus dumerilii, Pieter Bleeker (1858)
- Varanus dumerili, Pieter Bleeker (1858)
- Monitor dumerilii, Hermann Schlegel (1839)
- Varanus dumerili dumerilii, Hermann Schlegel (1839)
Range map of Varanus dumerilii in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.