Species of Thailand
Burmese flapshell turtle
Lissemys scutata, Bernard Germain de Lacépède, 1788
(In Thai: ตะพาบหับ, tapaab hab)
The Burmese flapshell turtle (Lissemys scutata), is a species in the family Trionychidae. The species is endemic to Asia.
Some experts (M.A. Smith, 1931; Mertens, L. Müller & Rust, 1934) considered L. scutata to be a subspecies of L. punctata rather than its own species.
L. scutata has an olive-brown to brown carapace with some dark spotting (in juveniles) or reticulations (in adults), and the first peripheral is smaller than the second. The head is olive to brown with an indistinct dark stripe extending backward from each orbit and another passing backward between the orbits.
Distribution and habitat
L. scutata lives in the Irrawaddy and Salween rivers of Myanmar, the vicinities of Bhamo, Pathein, Chauk, Yangon, Bago, and Mawlamyine in Myanmar, northeastern Thailand, and possibly in Yunnan Province, China (Kuchling, 1995).
The Burmese flapshell turtle is a piscivore.
L. scutata reproduces sexually. It is oviparous.
Although the Burmese flapshell turtle is listed as Data Deficient, some speculate it may be Vulnerable as it is traded in large numbers in East Asian food markets. However, not enough research has been done to come to a conclusion on this species' conservation status.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Lissemys scutata
- German: Hinterindische Klappen-Weichschildkröte
- English: Burmese flap-shelled turtle
- Thai: ตะพาบหับ, tapaab hab
- Lissemys scutata, Turtle Taxonomy Working Group (TTWG) (2014)
- Lissemys scutata, William Patrick McCord & Mehdi Joseph-Ouni (2003)
- Lissemys scutata, Gerald Kuchling (1995)
- Lissemys scutata, David Alderton (1988)
- Lissemys scutata, R. G. Webb (1982)
- Trionyx punctatus scutatus, Robert Mertens, Lorenz Müller & Rust (1934)
- Lissemys punctata scutata, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1931)
- Emyda granosa scutata, Nelson Annandale (1912)
- Emyda fuscomaculata, John Edward Gray (1873)
- Emyda scutata, Wilhelm Karl Hartwich Peters (1868)
Data Deficient (IUCN2.3)
Please help us review our species pages if wrong photos are used or any other details in the page is wrong. We can be reached via our contact us page.