Species of Thailand
Terpsiphone affinis, Edward Blyth, 1846
(In Thai: นกแซวสวรรค์)
Blyth's paradise flycatcher (Terpsiphone affinis) also called the oriental paradise flycatcher, is a species of bird in the family Monarchidae.
It is native from southern China to Sumatra and Melanesia. Formerly, it was considered a subspecies of the Asian paradise flycatcher until elevated to species rank by the IOC in 2015.
Ten subspecies are recognized:
- T. a. saturatior - (Salomonsen, 1933): Breeds in the eastern parts of Nepal and northeastern India, in eastern Bangladesh and northern Myanmar; populations occurring in Malaysia migrate northward for breeding.
- T. a. nicobarica - Oates, 1890: Originally described as a separate species. Found on Nicobar Islands
- T. a. burmae - (Salomonsen, 1933): Found in central Myanmar
- T. a. indochinensis - (Salomonsen, 1933): Found in eastern Myanmar and southern China to Indochina
- T. a. affinis - (Blyth, 1846): Found on Malay Peninsula and Sumatra
- T. a. procera - (Richmond, 1903): Originally described as a separate species. Found on Simeulue (off north-western Sumatra)
- T. a. insularis - Salvadori, 1887: Originally described as a separate species. Found on Nias (off north-western Sumatra)
- T. a. borneensis - (Hartert, 1916): Found on Borneo
- T. a. sumbaensis - Meyer, AB, 1894: Originally described as a separate species. Found on Sumba (southern Lesser Sundas)
- T. a. floris - Büttikofer, 1894: Originally described as a separate species. Found on Sumbawa, Alor, Lembata and Flores (central Lesser Sundas)
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
Category / Seasonal Status
Wiki listed status (concerning Thai population): Resident and winter visitor
BCST Category: Recorded in an apparently wild state within the last 50 years
BCST Seasonal statuses:
- Resident or presumed resident
- Non-breeding visitor
- Terpsiphone affinis
- Thai: นกแซวสวรรค์
- Tchitrea affinis
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
Please help us review the bird photos if wrong ones are used. We can be reached via our contact us page.