Species of Thailand
Thai: นกเฉี่ยวบุ้งใหญ่, nok chiew bong yai
Binomial name: Lalage melaschistos, Brian Houghton Hodgson, 1836
The black-winged cuckooshrike or lesser grey cuckoo-shrike or dark grey cuckooshrike (Coracina melaschistos) is a species of cuckooshrike found in South to Southeast Asia. Despite the name, they ( cuckooshrikes ) are unrelated to shrikes or cuckoos. They have broad based bills with grey upper parts, black wings, white vent, graduated white-tipped tails, black bills and legs. Females are overall lighter in all taxa.
They breed in summer in mountains from 300-2450 meters and migrate altitudinally or south in winter. It is distributed from Northeast Pakistan through the lower Himalayan region (Uttarakhand, Nepal, Arunachal Pradesh and into the hills of NE Myanmar continuing to China and Southeast Asia. It winters in the foothills, occasionally longer distances south west to northern parts of peninsular India and east to Orissa and Bengal but may travel as far south as Kerala).
Habitat: Breeds in deciduous and broad-leaved evergreen forest but winters in open forest, groves, singly or in pairs. They are also known to join mixed feeding parties. Their diet consists mainly of caterpillars, beetles and other bugs.
A medium sized, dark cuckoo-shrike with unbarred, grey underparts.
Male: dark grey above; contrasting black wings and tail. Wide white feather tips on underside of tail.
Female: Palers with faint barring on underside
Call: Loud twit twit to we, descending in scale.
Diet: mainly invertebrates.
Nests in tree.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Lalage melaschistos
- Thai: นกเฉี่ยวบุ้งใหญ่, nok chiew bong yai
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Bang Lamung District, Chonburi
- Bang Phra Non-hunting Area
- Bang Pu Recreation Centre
- Bangkok Province
- Chae Son National Park
- Chiang Dao District, Chiang Mai
- Chiang Dao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Doi Inthanon National Park
- Doi Lang
- Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park
- Doi Phu Kha National Park
- Doi Suthep-Pui National Park
- Hala-Bala Wildlife Sanctuary
- Hat Chao Mai National Park
- Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Huai Nam Dang National Park
- Kaeng Khoi District, Saraburi
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Kamphaeng Saen District, Nakhon Pathom
- Khao Ang Rue Nai Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Khitchakut National Park
- Khao Laem Ya National Park
- Khao Lak - Lam Ru National Park
- Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
- Khao Soi Dao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Sok National Park
- Khao Yai National Park
- Khao Yoi District, Phetchaburi
- Khlong Luang District, Pathum Thani
- Khon San District, Chaiyaphum
- Klaeng District, Rayong
- Kui Buri National Park
- Laem Pak Bia
- Mae Fa Luang District, Chiang Rai
- Mae Moei National Park
- Mae Ping National Park
- Mae Rim District, Chiang Mai
- Mae Wong National Park
- Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai
- Mueang Chonburi District, Chonburi
- Mueang Chumphon District, Chumphon
- Mueang Khon Kaen District, Khon Kaen
- Mueang Nakhon Nayok District, Nakhon Nayok
- Mueang Nakhon Pathom District, Nakhon Pathom
- Mueang Nonthaburi District, Nonthaburi
- Mueang Rayong District, Rayong
- Mueang Suphanburi District, Suphan Buri
- Mueang Tak District, Tak
- Nam Nao National Park
- Namtok Phlio National Park
- Ob Khan National Park
- Pa Sang District, Lamphun
- Pang Sida National Park
- Pha Daeng National Park
- Pha Hin Ngam National Park
- Pha Nam Yoi Forest Park
- Phu Foi Lom National Park
- Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park
- Phu Khiao Wildlife Sanctuary
- Phu Kradueng National Park
- Phu Luang Wildlife Sanctuary
- Phu Soi Dao National Park
- Phu Suan Sai National Park
- Phu Wiang National Park
- Phutthamonthon District, Nakhon Pathom
- Sai Yok National Park
- Sakaerat Environmental Research Station
- Samae San Island
- Samut Prakan Province
- Si Racha District, Chonburi
- Si Satchanalai National Park
- Sri Phang-nga National Park
- Taksin Maharat National Park
- Tat Mok National Park
- Thanyaburi District, Pathum Thani
- Thong Pha Phum National Park
- Thung Yai Naresuan Wildlife Sanctuary
- Ton Pariwat Wildlife Sanctuary
- Umphang Wildlife Sanctuary
- Wang Chan District, Rayong
Range map of Lalage melaschistos in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.