Species of Thailand
Binomial name: Rhinortha chlorophaea, Thomas Stamford Raffles, 1822
Raffles's malkoha (Rhinortha chlorophaea) is a species of cuckoo (family Cuculidae). It was formerly often placed in Phaenicophaeus with the other malkohas, but it is a rather distinct species, with several autapomorphies and sexual dimorphism (which its presumed relatives all lack).
It might not even be very closely related to the true malkohas, but form a very basal lineage of cuckoos; in any case, its placement in a monotypic genus Rhinortha is well warranted.
It is found in Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, and Thailand. Its natural habitat is subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
Videos of Raffles's malkoha
Raffles's malkoha (female) - Khao Luang National Park
Raffle's Malkoha - Khao Luang National Park
- Rhinortha chlorophaea
- Cuculus chlorophaeus, Thomas Stamford Raffles (1822)
- Phaenicophaeus chlorophaeus, Thomas Stamford Raffles (1822)
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Bang Lang National Park
- Hala-Bala Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Kaeng Krung National Park
- Khao Banthad Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Chong
- Khao Laem National Park
- Khao Lak - Lam Ru National Park
- Khao Luang National Park
- Khao Nam Khang National Park
- Khao Nan National Park
- Khao Phanom Bencha National Park
- Khao Phra - Bang Khram Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Pu - Khao Ya National Park
- Khao Sok National Park
- Ko Samui District, Surat Thani
- Kromluang Chumphon Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kui Buri National Park
- Mueang Chumphon District, Chumphon
- Mueang Krabi District, Krabi
- San Kala Khiri National Park
- Sri Phang-nga National Park
- Su-ngai Kolok District, Narathiwat
- Tai Rom Yen National Park
- Thale Ban National Park
- Ton Nga-Chang Wildlife Sanctuary
Range map of Rhinortha chlorophaea in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits and Parinya Pawangkhanant for their help with many range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.