Species of Thailand
Binomial name: Alauda gulgula, James Franklin, 1831
The Oriental skylark (Alauda gulgula), also known as the Oriental lark or small skylark, is a species of skylark found on the Indian Subcontinent and Southeast Asia. Like other skylarks, it is found in open grassland - often near bodies of water - where it feeds on seeds and insects.
These skylarks frequently rocket up into the sky, fluttering and singing before descending down to earth. Male Oriental skylarks may also hover in the air and sing, in order to attract a mate.
Oriental skylarks are about 16 cm long. They have streaked, yellow-brown upper plumage, with white outer tail feathers and a short crest. Both sexes are similar.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
Videos of Oriental skylark
- Alauda gulgula
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Ban Laem District, Phetchaburi
- Ban Phai District, Khon Kaen
- Bang Ban District, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya
- Bang Phra Non-hunting Area
- Bangkok Province
- Borabue District, Maha Sarakham
- Bueng Boraped Non-hunting Area
- Chiang Dao District, Chiang Mai
- Doi Inthanon National Park
- Doi Lo District, Chiang Mai
- Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park
- Doi Tao District, Chiang Mai
- Fang District, Chiang Mai
- Huai Chorakhe Mak Reservoir Non-hunting Area
- Huai Talat Reservoir Non-hunting Area
- Kabin Buri District, Prachinburi
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Kamphaeng Saen District, Nakhon Pathom
- Kantharawichai District, Maha Sarakham
- Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
- Khao Yai National Park
- Khao Yoi District, Phetchaburi
- Khlong Luang District, Pathum Thani
- Klaeng District, Rayong
- Kumphawapi District, Udon Thani
- Kut Thing Non-hunting Area
- Laem Pak Bia
- Mae Ai District, Chiang Mai
- Mae Taeng District, Chiang Mai
- Mae Tha, Lampang District, Lampang
- Mueang Buriram District, Buriram
- Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai
- Mueang Khon Kaen District, Khon Kaen
- Mueang Lampang District, Lampang
- Mueang Lamphun District, Lamphun
- Mueang Nong Khai District, Nong Khai
- Mueang Phetchaburi District, Phetchaburi
- Mueang Ratchaburi District, Ratchaburi
- Mueang Suphanburi District, Suphan Buri
- Mueang Uttaradit District, Uttaradit
- Nong Bong Khai Non-hunting Area
- Nong Ya Plong District, Phetchaburi
- Pa Sak Chonlasit Dam Non-hunting Area
- Pa Sang District, Lamphun
- Pak Chong District, Nakhon Ratchasima
- Pak Phli District, Nakhon Nayok
- Pak Thale
- Pak Thong Chai District, Nakhon Ratchasima
- Pha Daeng National Park
- Rattanawapi District, Nong Khai
- Sakaerat Environmental Research Station
- Samut Prakan Province
- Sop Prap District, Lampang
- Taphan Hin District, Phichit
- Tha Takiap District, Chachoengsao
- Thanyaburi District, Pathum Thani
- Wapi Pathum District, Maha Sarakham
Range map of Alauda gulgula in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.