Species of Thailand
Malayan softshell turtle
Thai: ตะพาบแก้มแดง, tapaab gaem daeng
Binomial name: Dogania subplana, Étienne Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire, 1809
The Malayan softshell turtle (Dogania subplana) is a species of softshell turtle in the Trionychidae family. It is monotypic in its genus.
It is found in Brunei, Indonesia, Java, Kalimantan, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Sabah, Sarawak, Singapore, and Sumatra.
Adults may attain a carapace length of 35 cm (13.7 in). The head is large and muscular. The carapace is flat, and has straight sides. Juveniles are reddish on the sides of the neck, and have a few round black spots (ocelli) on the carapace. These markings become obscure as the turtles age.
This turtle is a medium to dark brown-green. The nose is long and tapered as with members of the family, Trionychidae. It has eight pairs of pleuralia.
D. subplana prefers to live in the clean running water which is found in rocky streams at higher elevations.
It feeds on snails and other molluscs, crushing their shells with its powerful jaws.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Dogania subplana
- German: Malayische Weichschildkröte
- English: Malayan soft-shelled turtle
- Thai: ตะพาบแก้มแดง, tapaab gaem daeng
- Dogania subplana, Turtle Taxonomy Working Group (TTWG) (2014)
- Trionix subplanus, Richard (1999)
- Dogania subplana, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Dogania subplana, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Trionyx subprana, Wirot Nutaphand (1990)
- Dogania subplanus, E.S. Gaffney & P. A. Meylan (1988)
- Trionyx subplanus, David Alderton (1988)
- Dogania subprana, Wirot Nutaphand (1979)
- Dogania subplana, John Roscoe Hendrickson (1966)
- Dogania guntheri, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1931)
- Dogania subplana, Leonhard Hess Stejneger (1907)
- Trionyx pecki, Edward Bartlett (1895)
- Trionyx vertebralis, Alexander Strauch (1890)
- Trionyx subplanus, George Albert Boulenger (1889)
- Trionyx dillwynii, John Edward Gray (1873)
- Sarbieria frenata, John Edward Gray (1869)
- Trionyx guentheri, Albert Charles Lewis Günther (1864)
- Potamochelys frenatus, John Edward Gray (1864)
- Dogania guentheri, John Edward Gray (1863)
- Dogania guentheri, John Edward Gray (1862)
- Trionyx frenatus, John Edward Gray (1856)
- Trionyx frenatus, John Edward Gray (1855)
- Dogania subplana, John Edward Gray (1855)
- Dogania subplana, John Edward Gray (1844)
- Amyda subplana, Leopold Fitzinger (1843)
- Gymnopus subplanus, André Marie Constant Duméril & Gabriel Bibron (1835)
- Trionyx subplanus, Étienne Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire (1809)
Least Concern (IUCN2.3)
- Betong District, Yala
- Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Kaeng Krachan District, Phetchaburi
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Khao Lak - Lam Ru National Park
- Khao Nan National Park
- Khao Phanom Bencha National Park
- Khao Sok National Park
- Kui Buri National Park
- Sai Yok National Park
- Suan Phueng District, Ratchaburi
- Tarutao National Marine Park
- Tha Mai District, Chanthaburi
- Ton Nga-Chang Wildlife Sanctuary
Range map of Dogania subplana in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.