Species of Thailand
Green mountain racer
Binomial name: Gonyosoma prasinum, Edward Blyth, 1854
Rhadinophis prasinus (Green Trinket Snake, Green Bush Rat Snake or Green Ratsnake) is a species of colubrid snake found in Asia.
Rostral a little broader than deep, just visible from above; suture between the internasals a little shorter than that between the prefrontals; frontal as long as its distance from the end of the snout, shorter than the parietals; loreal square or longer than deep; one or two preoculars; temporals 1+2 or 2+2; upper labials 9, fourth, fifth, and sixth entering the eye; 5 lower labials in contact with the anterior chin-shields, which are as long as the posterior or a little longer. Scales in 19 rows, the 9 to 11 middle rows feebly keeled m the adult, smooth in the young. Ventrals with a lateral keel, 198 to 206; anal entire or divided; subcaudals 100-107. Uniform bright green above; upper lip and lower surface yellowish or greenish white. Total length 3 feet: tail 9 inches.
Its habitat ranges include Bangladesh, India (Darjeeling, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Burma (also known as Myanmar), northern Thailand, west Malaysia, Laos, Vietnam, China (Yunnan, Guizhou, Hainan) and Philippines.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Gonyosoma prasinum
- Grüne Strauchnatter
- Grüne Spitzkopfnatter
- Green trinket snake
- Green mountain racer
- Green tree racer
- Green bush rat snake
- Green ratsnake
- Thai: งูทางมะพร้าวเขียว
- Gonyosoma prasina, Tanya Chan-Ard et al. (2015)
- Rhynchophis prasinus, Van Stanley Bartholomew Wallach et al. (2014)
- Gonyosoma prasinus, Chen et al. (2014)
- Gonyosoma prasinum, Xin Chen et al. (2014)
- Rhadinophis prasina, Hussam Zaher et al. (2012)
- Gonyosoma prasinum, Nguyen Van Sang et al. (2009)
- Elaphe prasina, Bryan L. Stuart & Harold Heatwole (2008)
- Gonyosoma prasinum, Thomas Ziegler et al. (2007)
- Elaphe prasina, Indraneil Das & Norsham S. Yaakob (2007)
- Rhadinophis prasina, Frank T. Burbrink (2007)
- Gonyosoma prasinum, Urs Utiger et al. (2005)
- Gonyosoma prasinum, Patrick David et al. (2004)
- Elaphe prasina, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Gonyosoma prasina, Indraneil Das (1997)
- Elaphe prasina, Ulrich Manthey & Wolfgang Grossmann (1997)
- Elaphe prasina, Klaus-Dieter Schulz (1996)
- Gonyosoma prasina, Samuel Booker McDowell & Jenner (1988)
- Elaphe prasina, Alice Georgie Cruickshank Grandison (1978)
- Elaphe prasina, Michael Wilmer Forbes Tweedie (1950)
- Elaphe prasina, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1943)
- Elaphe prasina, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1930)
- Coluber prasinus, George Albert Boulenger (1894)
- Gonyosoma gramineum, Albert Charles Lewis Günther (1864)
- Coluber prasinus, Edward Blyth (1854)
- Betong District, Yala
- Bo Kluea District, Nan
- Chae Son National Park
- Doi Chiang Dao
- Doi Inthanon National Park
- Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park
- Doi Phu Kha National Park
- Doi Saket District, Chiang Mai
- Doi Suthep-Pui National Park
- Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Huai Nam Dang National Park
- Kaeng Krachan National Park
- Khao Yai National Park
- Khlong Wang Chao National Park
- Nanthaburi National Park
- Pha Daeng National Park
- Phu Luang Wildlife Sanctuary
- Pua District, Nan
- Umphang District, Tak
Range map of Gonyosoma prasinum in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits and Parinya Pawangkhanant for their help with many range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.