Eastern Russell's viper
In Thai: งูแมวเซา, ngu meow sao
Binomial name: Daboia siamensis, Malcolm Arthur Smith, 1917
Daboia siamensis (Common name: Eastern Russell's viper, Siamese Russell's viper, more) is a venomous viper species that is endemic to parts of Southeast Asia, southern China and Taiwan. It was formerly considered to be a subspecies of Daboia russelii (as Daboia russelli siamensis), but was elevated to species status in 2007.
Dorsally, the color pattern is the same as that of D. russelii, except that the color is more grayish or olive, with small spots between the large spot rows. The venter is suffused with gray posteriorly.
Eastern Russell's viper, Siamese Russell's viper.
Previously, other common names were used to describe subspecies that are now part of the synonymy of this form: Indonesian Russell's viper for "limitis", and Formosan Russell's viper for "formosensis".
D. siamensis is found in Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, China (Guangxi, Guangdong), Taiwan and Indonesia (Endeh, Flores, east Java, Komodo, Lomblen Islands).
Brown (1973) mentions that D. siamensis can also found in Vietnam, Laos and on the Indonesian island of Sumatra. Ditmars (1937) reportedly received a specimen from Sumatra as well. However, its distribution in the Indonesian archipelago is still being elucidated.
A monovalent antivenin, called "Russell's Viper Antivenin", is made in Thailand by the Thai Red Cross to counteract the venom of this species.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Daboia siamensis
- German: Östliche Kettenviper
- Eastern Russell’s viper
- Siamese Russell's viper
- Thai: งูแมวเซา, ngu meow sao
- Daboia siamensis, Van Stanley Bartholomew Wallach et al. (2014)
- Daboia siamensis, Roger Stephen Thorpe et al. (2007)
- Daboia russelii siamensis, Ermi Zhao (2006)
- Daboia russellii sic siamensis, Tanya Chan-Ard et al. (1999)
- Daboia russelii siamensis, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Daboia russelli siamensis, WELCH (Multiple authors) (1994)
- Daboia russelli siamensis, Golay et al. (1993)
- Vipera russelli burmanus, Maung Maung Aye in P. Gopalakrishnakone & Tan (1987)
- Vipera russelli siamensis, K. Nakada, F. Nakada, E. Ito & F. Inoue (1984)
- Viper russelli siamensis, Sakuragawa (1979)
- Vipera russelii siamensis, Konrad Klemmer (1963)
- Vipera russelii limitis, Konrad Klemmer (1963)
- Vipera russelii formosensis, Konrad Klemmer (1963)
- Vipera russelli sublimitis, Felix Kopstein (1936)
- Vipera russelii sublimitis, Felix Kopstein (1936)
- Vipera russelli formosensis, Moichirō Maki (1931)
- Vipera russelli limitis, Robert Mertens (1930)
- Vipera russelii limitis, Robert Mertens (1927)
- Vipera russelli limitis, Robert Mertens (1927)
- Coluber russelli siamensis, Masamitsu Ōshima (1920)
- Daboia russelii siamensis, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1917)
- Vipera russelli siamensis, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1917)
- Vipera siamensis, Malcolm Arthur Smith (1917)
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)