Species of Thailand
Thai: เต่าปูลู, dtao pulu
Binomial name: Platysternon megacephalum, John Edward Gray, 1831
The big-headed turtle (Platysternon megacephalum) is a species of turtle in the family Platysternidae from the Southeast Asia and Southern China.
Previously considered a distinct family placed on occasion in "Kinosternoidea", it was later moved to the Emydidae. With the Geoemydidae being split off from these, it seems wisest to reinstate, at least for the time being, the Platysternidae. This, as well as the subfamily and the genus Platysternon, are monotypic.
It is found in Cambodia, China, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam.
The big-headed turtle is known to readily climb over obstacles in and around rivers and fast streams, using its tail as a prop to extend the reach of its strong claws; it also uses its beak to assist in climbing. It has been reported to climb trees and bushes. It is not a strong swimmer, and when swimming, this species occasionally arches its tail in the manner of a scorpion. The big-headed turtle cannot pull its head in its shell. That being the case, it will not hesitate to use its powerful jaws to defend itself. It is a fish and snail eater.
The big-headed turtle is readily consumed in Asia and is frequently a market item. Hunters capture them on lines with baited straight pins, so this species is rapidly disappearing in the wild.
- P. m. megacephalum, China, 1831
- P. m. peguense, Myanmar and Thailand, 1870
- P. m. shiui, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam, 1987
In addition, two other subspecies P. m. tristernalis (1984) and P. m. vogeli (1969) have been given, but may be invalid.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Platysternon megacephalum
- German: Grosskopfschildkröte
- Big-headed turtle
- Burmese big-headed turtle
- Vietnamese big-headed turtle
- Thai: เต่าปูลู, dtao pulu
Platysternon megacephalum megacephalum, John Edward Gray, 1831
Platysternon megacephalum peguense, John Edward Gray, 1870
Range: Myanmar and Thailand
Platysternon megacephalum shiui, Carl Henry Ernst & William Patrick McCord, 1987
Range: Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam
- Platysternon megacephalum, Turtle Taxonomy Working Group (TTWG) (2014)
- Platysternon megacephalum megacephalum, Anders Gunnar Johannes Rhodin et al. (2010)
- Platysternon megacephalum peguense, Anders Gunnar Johannes Rhodin et al. (2010)
- Platysternon megacephalum shiui, Anders Gunnar Johannes Rhodin et al. (2010)
- Platysternon megacephalum, Thomas Ziegler (2002)
- Platysternon megacephalum peguense, Tanya Chan-Ard et al. (1999)
- Platysternon megacephalum peguensis, R. C. Sharma (1998)
- Platysternon megacephalum, Merel J. Cox et al. (1998)
- Platysternon megacephalum tristornalis, David Alderton (1988)
- Platysternon megacephalum shiui, Peter Charles Howard Pritchard & William Patrick McCord (1987)
- Platysternon megacephalum tristernalis, Hans-Hermann Schleich & Ulrich Gruber (1984)
- Platysternon magacephalum megacephalum, Peter Charles Howard Pritchard (1979)
- Platysternon megacephalum penguense, Wirot Nutaphand (1979)
- Platysternon megacephalum penuense, Wirot Nutaphand (1979)
- Platysternon megacephalum vogeli, Heinz Wermuth (1969)
- Platysternon megacephalum megacephalum, Heinz Wermuth (1960)
- Platysternon megacephalum peguense, Heinz Wermuth (1960)
- Platysternon macrocephalus, Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz (1960)
- Platysternon platycephalum, Robert Mertens (1959)
- Platysternum megalocephalum, Stanek (ex errore) (1959)
- Platysternum megacephalum, George Albert Boulenger (1889)
- Platysternon peguense, John Edward Gray (1870)
- Platysternon megacephalum peguense, John Edward Gray (1870)
- Platysternon magacephalum, Leopold Fitzinger (1843)
- Emys megacephala, Hermann Schlegel (1838)
- Platysternon megacephalus, John Edward Gray (1835)
- Platysternon megacephalum, André Marie Constant Duméril & Gabriel Bibron (1835)
- Platisternon megacephalus, John Edward Gray (1834)
- Platysternon megacephalum, John Edward Gray (1831)
- Chae Son National Park
- Doi Ang Khang
- Doi Inthanon National Park
- Doi Luang National Park
- Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park
- Doi Phu Kha National Park
- Doi Suthep-Pui National Park
- Doi Wiang Pha National Park
- Khlong Tron National Park
- Khun Nan National Park
- Khun Yuam District, Mae Hong Son
- Lam Nam Nan National Park
- Lan Sang National Park
- Mae Lao-Mae Sae Wildlife Sanctuary
- Nam Nao National Park
- Namtok Mae Surin National Park
- Omkoi District, Chiang Mai
- Pha Daeng National Park
- Phu Hin Rong Kla National Park
- Phu Kradueng National Park
- Phu Ruea National Park
- Phu Sang National Park
- Phu Suan Sai National Park
- Si Lanna National Park
- Si Satchanalai National Park
- Tat Mok National Park
- Tham Sakoen National Park
- Thong Pha Phum National Park
- Thung Salaeng Luang National Park
Range map of Platysternon megacephalum in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.