Species of Thailand
Asian glossy starling
Binomial name: Aplonis panayensis, Giovanni Antonio Scopoli, 1783
The Asian Glossy Starling (Aplonis panayensis) is a species of starling in the Sturnidae family.
It is found in Bangladesh, Brunei, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand.
Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests and subtropical or tropical mangrove forests. There is also a huge number of this species inhabiting towns and cities, where they take refuge in abandoned buildings and trees. They often move in large groups and are considered one of the noisiest species of birds.
This article uses material from Wikipedia released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike Licence 3.0. Eventual photos shown in this page may or may not be from Wikipedia, please see the license details for photos in photo by-lines.
- Aplonis panayensis
Least Concern (IUCN3.1)
- Ao Phang-Nga National Park
- Chaiya District, Surat Thani
- Hala-Bala Wildlife Sanctuary
- Hat Chao Mai National Park
- Hat Noppharat Thara - Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park
- Hat Yai District, Songkhla
- Khanom District, Nakhon Si Thammarat
- Khao Lak - Lam Ru National Park
- Khao Luang National Park
- Khao Phra - Bang Khram Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khao Sok National Park
- Khlong Saeng Wildlife Sanctuary
- Khura Buri District, Phang Nga
- Ko Samui District, Surat Thani
- Ko Tao
- Mu Ko Lanta National Park
- Mu Ko Similan National Park
- Mueang Chumphon District, Chumphon
- Mueang Krabi District, Krabi
- Mueang Nakhon Si Thammarat District, Nakhon Si Thammarat
- Mueang Pattani District, Pattani
- Mueang Phang Nga District, Phang Nga
- Mueang Phatthalung District, Phatthalung
- Mueang Phuket District, Phuket
- Mueang Satun District, Satun
- Mueang Surat Thani District, Surat Thani
- Nong Yai Area Development Project Under Royal Init
- Pathio District, Chumphon
- Sirinat National Park
- Sri Phang-nga National Park
- Takua Pa District, Phang Nga
- Tarutao National Marine Park
- Tha Phae District, Satun
- Tha Sala District, Nakhon Si Thammarat
- Thai Mueang District, Phang Nga
- Thalang District, Phuket
- Than Sadet - Koh Pha-Ngan National Park
Range map of Aplonis panayensis in Thailand
Important note; our range maps are based on limited data we have collected. The data is not necessarily accurate or complete.
Special thanks to Ton Smits, Parinya Pawangkhanant, Ian Dugdale and many others for their contribution for range data.
Contribute or get help with ID
Please help us improving our species range maps. To add a new location to the range map we need a clear image of the specimen you have encountered. No problem if you do not know the species, we will do our best to identify it for you.
For the location, please provide the district name or the national park/ wildlife sanctuary name.
Please post your images to our Thai Species Identification Help group on Facebook.